Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How does go about daily life with "fear of Hashem"

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 9:23 am
Out of sight, out of mind. Unless I am at shul or actively davening, I don't really think about Hashem or have a feeling of "fear".

do you? if so, how do you do it? I want to elevate my days and not just trudge through them until the next.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 10:31 am
Yirah--awe--is not the same as pachad--fear. It is an awareness of the greatness of Hashem. Not a fear of Him.

Petra

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 1:23 pm
The following is really what I meant..."The Ohr HaMeir comments that "Yiras Hashem tehora" ? the fear of Hashem is pure," alludes to yiras haromemus ? the higher, exalted form of yirah, fear of Hashem. The Mesilas Yesharim (Path of the Just) defines this as the fear of losing our close bond to the Almighty. If a person has this type of fear, then it stands forever ? omedes la'ad. This is because this type of awe is not dependent on any particular factor. " This is from Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser from a 2003 online source but references Mesilas Yesharim which is where I derive my original question. I just don't have it in front of me to reference it now.

Shalshelet

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 6:52 pm
I would surmise to say that it could perhaps be explained as follows:

A girl becomes engaged. All she can think of during the engagement period concerns her chosson and their future life together. Once they are married, this bond grows even more, and he is constantly on her mind - even at work, even with friends, even with her parents. When one has such a bond, the "fear" of loosing that special connection keeps her from doing things that would not be to his liking, and to continue to do things that would make him happy.

That is what I would guess it is referring to.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 6:58 pm
I just have Hashem in mind all the time. it doesn't have to be specific though, the way I see it is like when faced with a decision think what would Hashem want me to do. or when you do something good think Hashem is proud of me. when something goes wrong Hashem is here for me, etc etc. make it a personal relationship type of thing

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 7:14 pm
Understanding that doing God's will isn't just listening to our Father in Heaven, but rather, that everything He said we should do brings us closer to true existence. Existence only came about through his word.

Doing things against His will, no matter how wonderful they may seem to feel, is really taking us away from existence and into living a life of illusion.

I think you'd like The Way of God - Derech Hashem, by R' Moshe Chaim Lutzato. The English book is pocket-sized and a much easier read than the Hebrew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational