Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Camp sternberg help!!

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:44 pm
We are new to sleep away camp and have a few questions. Can someone contact us who has recent experience? Camp starts this week!

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 2:25 pm
What do you need to know?

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 6:35 pm
What the bunks are like
How often do they do laundry?
Does she really need bottled water?
Is it a big deal if my daughter arrives late the first day?

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 7:05 pm
It's good to send bottled water (to any camp) to prevent dehydration. I would try calling the camp, as far as the rest of the questions.

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 7:43 pm
Some camps do not allow bottled drinks to be sent with the luggage. I've ordered water from amazon or costco to be shipped straight to camp. Cost a little more, but kids loved getting pkgs from home.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:04 pm
there is absolutely no need for bottled water in the catskill region as all their water is fresh from mountain wellsprings of deliciousness Cheers

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:08 pm
unless your traveling from timbuktu, kalamazoo or cleveland ~ don't be late the kids all get assigned their bunks Director and I believe beds are first grab first to get the top bunk in the corner near a window Hooray

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:15 pm
the bunks are made of wood & everything is far away ~ so there will be a lot of walking Bounce

laundry won't matter how often they do it cause the clothing will still stink like smelly camp clothes by the time she gets home Feeling beat up

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:20 pm
definately send water to camp sternberg!!!!!!!

its the only camp that has a reputation for having horrific drinking water.

dont let your kid be late or else she will get the worst bed and the worst dresser. if anything have her there early. send loads of undergarments but not too much clothing as there is not alot of closet space.

send dry easy snacks and canteen money but dont send sticky sweet stuff or she will get a bug infestation.

do not give her money to an older friend/sister/cousin or she will never see it again and will have no money to buy things when her friends do. (that happened to me)

amother

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:57 pm
RE sending bottled water to sternberg, I have one word: EGGWATER.
(in other words, send bottles)

Beach Bum

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:57 pm
I went to Sternberg a while ago, but I can definately advise you to send your daughter with lots of water! The water there has a really nasty taste and the kids have to do a lot of walking as the grounds are quite large. I would also advise you not to get her there late, as the last choice of beds/cubbies are usually the worst! When I was there they did laundry once a half, and a lot of thins would get lost, so make sure everything is labeled clearly with her name, and that she doesnt give her good stuff to the laundry.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 9:00 pm
They do laundry every 2 weeks.

The water is bad, but she can buy at camp or get used to the tasted.

Regarding, money the camp takes the money and holds it for you and you can use it as needed.

It's a great camp and she will have a blast!!!!!! There's visiting day in about 2 weeks, so anything she will need, she can get then....

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 10:09 pm
Thanks so much for the replies!
I keep thinking back to my camp experience, which was mostly girl scout camp. I nearly fell off my chair when I got the email about bottled water. It was the combination of "fancy" and un-ecological that seemed so far from my own camp experience.

I ordered one case of water, and I bought her a Britta filtering bottle. Do those help?

I was actually thinking about sending her stuff by mail. Do they bring it to the girls pretty quickly, like the same or next day?

Everyone runs their house differently, but I wash my kids' clothes after every wearing. We are a little clumsy, so there is almost always an obvious spot of some kind on their clothes. I guess I'll send her with some laundry soap and teach her how to sink-wash.

I didn't have nearly enough shirts to send my daughter with. I was thinking of mailing her some as soon as I get a chance, maybe Thursday.

Umm....about nosh....how much to send? I don't want my daughter to feel left out or deprived, but I don't really want to send her with tons of snacks. If I send her with one snack per day, is that what's done?

Thanks soooooo much. I think I'm getting a picture of the place.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 10:38 pm
Does a Brita filter help change the taste of egg water? I think we called it egg water because it had a strong sulfurous smell and taste. Bringing water bottles has nothing to do with "fancy;" it's all about not dehydrating. They have gotten better with the water over the years, but it still helps to send water bottles. If you're sending the filter, make sure to pack a bunch of cups, and maybe a non-disposable water bottle.
They deliver packages quickly, but they don't like if you send nosh packages. (They feel it breeds jealousy among the girls.) Other stuff are fine. (And even the nosh they'll let through once or twice with an admonition.)
I definitely did a lot of sink-washing in camp, but it might help to send her with a bucket thing to do it in. How will she plug up the sink? Since there isn't a lot of storage room, maybe she can keep her nosh in the container she would do her laundry in? Also, people in general walk around more dirty in camp than they'd ever do at home. It's like living in a bubble for a month.
If you're also sending canteen money, she won't feel left out or deprived about her nosh situation. That said, the girl with lots of nosh is definitely a very happy girl. My parents always made sure we had enough nosh to share with the bunk- it helped win friends Smile But nosh can get expensive, so do keep in mind there's canteen once a week. And also watch out what nosh you get, like another poster said. No chocolate or other sticky/meltables.
Also, I might suggest sending a little fan that clips on to the bed. Outlets are very few and far between, but if she can get one, it will make days a lot more comfortable.
I went to Sternberg for years and loved it. Good luck! Smile

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 11:44 am
please send her more water.

the water there is nasty nasty nasty. brita will do nothing to change the taste

chavamom

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:39 am
News flash: the water no longer smells like eggs. No idea what changed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics