Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Improving social skills

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:30 pm
By nature I am more of an introvert - I am fine with making conversation and building relationships, but have a harder time in large crowds and "working the room." My supervisor at work told me that it would be beneficial to work on improving my skills, but no specific suggestions. Any ideas for books, courses, online help? I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

luvinlife

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:40 pm
how about you read some books from author Dale Carnegie..he's has a few and those should help.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:41 pm
That's so interesting that you should suggest that, I am actually reading one of his books now. Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:41 pm
Funny. I could have written that same post. Being an introvert hasn't hindered my career path, but I'm sure it hasn't helped. And I work for a company where the head is a huge extroverted frat boy type. Very hard for me to relate too. I even called in sick last week so I wouldn't have to go to a company party! (Of course, I wouldn't have been able to eat anything--that was the excuse I made up for myself.)

My husband is a much better schmoozer than I am, and he's suggested going to Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org/) to help me gain the confidence I lack, but so far, I haven't done it. But I hear it works.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:00 pm
Amother, I'm looking at the toastmasters website now. I think I'll try it. Maybe we can encourage each other.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:08 pm
Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 2:28 pm
OP here - just got back from my first meeting. I really enjoyed and think I will become a member. It's officially more for public speaking than my specific issues, but I think it will build comfort and confidence and help in all social situations.

Any other ideas gladly accepted as well Smile thanks all!

perquacky

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 1:59 pm
Wow! I'm impressed. Good for you!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:34 pm
Thanks so much for the encouragement!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics