Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does who you resemble matter?
Previous  1  2

redhot

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:58 pm
An old woman, who was our neighbor at the time.. once looked at my then 3 month old baby boy and said 'He looks just like your husband. what a shame'

I burst out laughing.. cuz she said it to me infront of my husband!! he was NOT happy!

I think my husband is handsome so I just thought it was amusing.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 7:54 am
Basya wrote:
I remember learning that when sarah imenu gave birth to yitzchak, some people said that it must be that avimelech is the father and not avraham avinu (they thought that when avimelech took sarah...) So hashem made it that Yitzchak looked exactly like avraham so no one would think badly.

Yup, I had forgotten that one earlier, remember it yesterday, you posted it first Smile

Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
Idea Just a thought, but maybe it has something to do with someone's potential. If you look like someone else then you may have (the potential) for similar middot. That's maybe what Rashi is trying to teach us by saying that Lot looked like Avraham Avinu.

Well, we see later that Lot hosted the malochim at great personal danger so he was also a baal chesed. But was that an inherent similarity he had to Avrohom or something he learned from Avrohom?

Anybody know anything further about the resemblances mentioned in Chumash?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:24 am
Once at PTA , after my aunt identified herself to the teacher she was told oh I knew the first minute you walked in you must be so and so mother, she looks just like you. My cousin is my aunt's second husbands daughter. go figure . Pple sometimes just have to have something to say.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 8:27 pm
My firend is adopted and said her d ark skin was like her adopted fathers

and her adopted borthers red hair was like her adopted mother.

I have scene adopted children withthe same color hair or hair type

as their adopted mothers.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 11:04 am
That Yitzchok resembled Avrohom was miraculous, I learned, since Yitzchok's midda was gevura and Avrohom's midda chesed. Which makes me think that when people resemble one another, there's more to it than looks.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 11:28 am
Twice recently I have met a total stranger and thought that she resembled someone I knew. After starting up a conversation with them it turned out that both of them were friends with the woman who I thought they resembled.

Another time, I saw somebody at a brit and she looked just like a friend whose name is Ronit. When I started talking to her and asked her name, she said that it was Ronit.

So maybe this is not so much physical similarity as an "aura" about the person.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics