Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO yeshivish type community not far from tristate ny area

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:12 pm
Where can we move? Can anyone give me ideas on places that sound like it would fit?

I guess we're called yeshivish though I don't really like being with super yeshivish people.

So I guess I'd like a community with some yeshivish and some not.

I would like a simple community. I am not the dress up type, and we're toned down with every aspect. But I'm very self conscious, so if I'm around too many people with a higher standard of living, I might start to feel like I have to copy them. I don't want that to happen.

I would really like to be in a community where people help each other out, and you know everyone else, etc.. Is such a thing possible if I don't want to go to far OOT?

Basically, simple, non judgmental, sort of yeshivish community.

Please don't tell me Lakewood.
I know about Monsey, though I know it's a huge place so I'm not really sure if the young people are together or spread apart.

Does passaic sound like a fit? From what I heard, it's not really yeshivish. (That aspect really is for my dh to be comfortable more than for me)

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!! We gotta figure this out...

Sherri

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:21 pm
Waterbury CT? What do you consider yeshivish and oot?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 8:25 pm
Thanks for responding.
I've considered Waterbury. IT didn't seem like it was for us. Very very nice good frum people there.But my dh doesn't think it's yeshivish enough.
But I don't consider that too far OOT if it had been a good fit.
I guess 3 hour drive to brooklyn is OK. Longer than that might be a turn off.

Truthfully I'm not really sure what I consider yeshivish. I Don't have exact guidelines. It's more my dh who is yeshivish.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:02 pm
have you looked into Edison/HP NJ?

there is a huge mix from modern to black-hatted and everything in between and everyone gets along with each other.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
have you looked into Edison/HP NJ?

there is a huge mix from modern to black-hatted and everything in between and everyone gets along with each other.

I agree with this suggestion. Warm community. LOTS of chesed. Lots of interaction between different shuls.

twerpz

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:26 pm
HP/ Edison

Passaic

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 12:54 pm
I wold definitely recommend Providence, RI. 3 hours from NY, there is a great yeshiva there, day school, high school, kollel...probably the warmest, most welcoming community ever.
There is definitely a mix of people and simple, not into gashmius. There are 2 yeshivish type shuls and 1 young israel type shul. Many universities in walking distance, so tons of opportunities for guests.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
I can get you set up with some great families for shabbos.

cking

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:58 pm
Not sure what you mean by "yeshivish" but I definitely think Passaic qualifies. There are about 20 shuls here - something for everyone - and most are made up of people who would classify themselves as "yeshivish". It's not like Lakewood in that people are mostly working (although there is a kollel here), but many people here wear a black hat, especially on Shabbos.

Passaic has an "out of town" feel, people are very friendly and down to earth, yet we are just 25 minutes from New York City, 40 minutes from Monsey, and an hour from Brooklyn.

You really can't get a feel for a community unless you spend a Shabbos (or two) there. That's what we did before we moved here. We went to several other communities as well. That way you can speak to people and see what the community is like. Your husband can go to a couple of shuls and see if he feels comfortable with the level of yiddishkeit.

If you want to spend a Shabbos in Passaic, contact Edna Ritz at 973-777-2495. She is the head of Shabbos hospitality.

Hatzlocha in your search for the right community!

abby1776

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 3:03 pm
Baltimore - 4 hours without traffic to NY.

Certainly as close as Rhode Island.

shanie5

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 8:53 pm
Your description is pretty good for Scranton Pa. The only thing we really lack is a younger crowd.

We are 2 1/2 hours from Brooklyn.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 9:21 pm
whats wrong with Far Rockaway?

abby1776

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 9:42 am
I am sorry. But my grandmother lived in Scranton and we would go visit all the time from NY - washington heights no less and there is no way that Scranton is 2 1/2 hours away from Brooklyn. 3 if there is no traffic.

ElTam

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 10:59 am
How far OOT are you willing to go? Cleveland is about a seven hour drive, I think. There are two yeshivish communties, one by the yeshiva and then Cleveland Heights, which is more of a mix. But maybe farther than you want to be.

shosh22

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 11:54 am
Another vote for Providence, RI. A very warm, down to earth and frum community.

shanie5

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:48 pm
abby1776 wrote:
I am sorry. But my grandmother lived in Scranton and we would go visit all the time from NY - washington heights no less and there is no way that Scranton is 2 1/2 hours away from Brooklyn. 3 if there is no traffic.

I dont know who drove you then, but when I drive to ny-flatbush specifically-it takes 2 1/2 hours. When we travel its usually against the rush hour so we dont often get stuck in traffic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating