Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pre existing condition

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 2:14 pm
I am currently without health insurance since I am not elligible for medicaid. While my kids are on CHP I am not insured since I cant afford it. My dh is unemployed and I work full time to pay the bills. But I am dying to have a baby and was wondering if an insurance company will agree to cover me if I apply like in my 4th month (to save money). I would cancel as soon as I deliver and all goes well....or do I apply now so I dont get stuck with thousands of dollars in bills?

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:17 pm
I'm in the same position--- my husband and I don't have health insurance, but we DO have it for our kids. And we both have tons of pre-existing conditions so health insurance for the 2 of us is well over $1000 (we did it for a few years but it's just SICK to spend all that money each month when we're in debt.

We're in the income range where we can't afford anything but we make too much for government assistance. My husband makes a fraction of what he used to make.

I don't know what CHP is but you mentioned medicaid--- so I'm thinking maybe it's medicaid for your kids--- like you're under the income that qualifies your kids for free government insurance but you can't get for you? So my guess is that right now you probably can't comfortably afford another kid. Until you're off ALL government assistance, if I were you I wouldn't be trying to get pregnant.

Also if you're the only one working, what happens when you're on bedrest or recovering from a C section-- who's making your family income then?

But yeah I'm pretty sure pregnancy is a pre-existing condition and you have to have health insurance before getting pregnant.

We want more kids too but it's not happening. Maybe in a few years but I'll be 42-43 in a few years. ugh.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:37 pm
Most Insurance companies require you to be insured for a period of time before they will pay for a pregnancy. I know when I signed up with my insurance company I could not get pregnant for 10 months or else they wouldn't have paid it. This may have changed with Obama's new health initiative but I don't know when that goes into effect. Also keep in mind that when that does go into effect, you will by law be required to have health insurance or you will pay a penalty in your taxes (I think they wore talking $2,000.00 per person who isn't covered but I am not sure about the figure).

I understand that you really want another child but don't you think that it is not financially responsible to bring another child into this world when you cannot afford it. You make it sound like you are just making enough. Another child will add additional expenses. What is going to happen when you go on maternity leave and your husband may still be unemployed. Are you going to get paid while on leave? How are going to survive. Do you think it is fair that my tax dollars are going to support your family. I work really hard and do not get any benefits (and we have limited the size of our family so we can afford to pay for everything (like health insurance (I pay around $12,000 a year for a family of 5, food, tuition) yet there are people like you who obviously cannot afford to have another child are just doing it and saying things like "that child will just go on CHIPS when they are born". What are you going to do when you have to pay tuition (say things like we will get financial aid because we cannot afford it) Do you really think that is fair? What happens if you get sick after the delivery (I know someone who had a baby and while in the hospital contracted a bacterial infection and needed to have limbs amputated) You just want to cancel the insurance afterwards but there are so many things that could go wrong. Why don't you start saving your money and have a child in a few years when you are in a better financial circumstance and can properly take care of your family.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:47 pm
Thanks so much for responding. I am one of those very few lucky ones who have it really easy and I deliver naturally and quickly. Whats with the Obama Care plan? I wish I can sign up like in my last trimester...I feel so bad to not have another precious baby just because I cant afford to..It so unfair it would cost around $6000 with insurance to have a baby...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for responding. I am one of those very few lucky ones who have it really easy and I deliver naturally and quickly. Whats with the Obama Care plan? I wish I can sign up like in my last trimester...I feel so bad to not have another precious baby just because I cant afford to..It so unfair it would cost around $6000 with insurance to have a baby...

Just because you have had that in the past does not mean it is the same for every baby. My first pregnancy went off without a hitch, normal labor normal recovery. My next pregnancy had multiple complications that landed me on bedrest with a premie. You just never know. Also google Obacare and you can read up on it. Unfortunately, many times we cannot have things because we cannot afford them. I do not take my family to Israel every year because we cannot afford it. I also do not buy designer clothes, shoes....but make do with The Children's Place, Target, Marshells etc. We have to live within our means. I am not trying to be mean or make you feel bad just trying to be realistic.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Also google Obacare

Obama Care

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:11 pm
I would look into gov't insurance if I was you.

Many states allow pregnant woman to get insured (in New Jersey you get Jersey Care). Good prenatal care leads to healthier babies who need less medical care. Look into that.

I am thrilled that my tax dollars will help bring more Yiddish Neshomas into the world. Actually I am would be perfectly happy with the right program that tax dollars would pay for all citizens care. Hey, a percentage of my salary goes to pay for people 65 and older why not everyone else.

Hatzlacha!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:29 pm
Have you applied for Medicaid for pregnant women? The requirements are much lower than regular medicaid.

Have you looked into a group plan? I believe insurance is required to cover pre-existing conditions for members of a group (not sure of this is true for every state). Can you join through your employer, or another group?

abby1776

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 4:40 pm
I know Maryl;and also has a government plan for pregnant woman

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 6:21 pm
Look into Medicaid/FHP more specifically; even if you don't qualify now you might qualify when pregnant. They make it MUCH easier to get on when pregnant, also it counts you as a larger family size because you count as 2. Or something like that.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:55 pm
Original amother here. So I applied for medicaid when I had to recertify. I was denied. I just applied for my kids and am still waiting to hear from Child Health Plus. I will have to pay $15 per child. Say I get pregnant in 1-2 months I cancel my kids insurance and reapply with medicaid? My pay stub will also be different then what I used previously for medicaid since I make a diff. Amount each month. I'm so stressed out and nervous about being uninsured...

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 7:57 pm
I don't think you should cancel your kids, just re-open your own application. When I make a different amount each month I use my yearly tax return to give an average. Unless you earned more overall last year than you currently are headed for, it's pretty much the simplest way to go and not have to worry about monthly fluctuations.

wtvr

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:28 pm
I think it varies by state. I don't think it is a pre-existing condition in NY.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:34 pm
Don't cancel your kids, you can apply on your own. It doesn't have to be done as a family, especially for pregnancy. You don't need to take a chance- you can look up a chart online to see what the eligibility is in your state. Once youre pregnant, it is considered as if there is an additional member in the household. That should help.

If you're very borderline, I would say to keep close track of your work hours the month or two before you apply, and make sure you aren't earning too much. They will want to see your pay stubs. And they understand about contract work, you can just be honest about the average monthly income and say that its an average.

precious

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:59 pm
are you in NY?
have you looked into Healthy NY? Its a good option if your income is too high for medicaid but not too high.
you also should look into PCAP - you get it when you become pregnant and will also automatically cover your baby for a year. the income levels are much higher than medicaid.
if you're not eligible for these, call the insurance company you would get and ask them!!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:00 pm
PCAP is medicaid; it's just a quicker enrollment if you're already pregnant and not insured.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics