Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pepper steak that isn't?

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 12:29 am
I bought some pepper steak to make for Shabbos but I'm not sure I want to make the typical pepper steak with it - yknow, the one with peppers (duh) that's maybe a little Asian? I'm in the mood for something else. But it better be a delicious something else because I don't treat us to nice red meat very often. Any suggestions/recipes? I don't own any interesting cookbooks so it needs to be either online already or post the recipe here.

TIA!

(coincidentally, peppers were on sale locally this week so I happen to have a fridge full of them. So maybe I will do the regular version after all... but wishing to comparison shop first)

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 12:34 pm
Bump?

c899

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 1:04 pm
I actually just made pepper steak two nights ago and I used my regular steak recipe and it came out delish!!!!!!!!!
Saute an onion in 2 tbsp oil, add 1 c ketchup, 1/2 c brown sugar, 6 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp garlic pwdr wait till it all boils.
Put pepper steak in a pan ( I used an aluminum pan about an 8x8) then pour the sauce over it. Cover very tightly and bake it at 350 for 3-4 hours. The pepper steak got soft and tender it was so good! It has alot of sauce so it goes well with rice or potatoes

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 1:17 pm
Thanks! Might try that. Still fishing for more ideas just in case ;-)

CatLady

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 1:37 pm
Depending on what you have in the house, you could make fajitas or Italian Beef and peppers - basically, cut up the meat, peppers and a large onion the same way as if you were doing it Asian-style, stir-fry as usual and then instead of soy sauce, etc., add either chili powder & salsa (for fajitas) or garlic, oregano and pasta sauce from a jar if you want to go Italian. Either would go well with rice, although I'd toss in a handful each of frozen corn and canned black beans if I were going Mexican, and I'd probably serve the Italian version over soft polenta (a.k.a. mamaliga!)

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:35 pm
DH has requested beef with broccoli. Will split the package in half, try that this week, and probably do c899's saucy recipe next week or the week after if a break is needed.

Thanks!

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 11:57 pm
c899 wrote:
I actually just made pepper steak two nights ago and I used my regular steak recipe and it came out delish!!!!!!!!!
Saute an onion in 2 tbsp oil, add 1 c ketchup, 1/2 c brown sugar, 6 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp garlic pwdr wait till it all boils.
Put pepper steak in a pan ( I used an aluminum pan about an 8x8) then pour the sauce over it. Cover very tightly and bake it at 350 for 3-4 hours. The pepper steak got soft and tender it was so good! It has alot of sauce so it goes well with rice or potatoes

Want to make something like this for Shabbos, the problem is that I get home close to 4 tomorrow and the only thing I did so far is defrost the meat. Any idea how to do this but faster?!

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 1:05 am
I just posted this on the other ongoing pepper steak thread

This is from binah Magazine
I've made with pepper steak it's amazing
Serve over rice or something to absorb all that sauce

4 slices shoulder steak, cut into 2" pieces (total 2lb)
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar (not packed)
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium pot over a high flame.
Add the onions and saute until they turn golden and tender (3 to 4 minutes).
Add the diced peppers, stock, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot and mix to combine.
Add the meat and mix everything well.
Cover the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Serve over rice or alongside mashed potatoes.

lucky14

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:27 am
c899 wrote:

I know this is an old post, but I was looking for a way to cook pepper steak other then the traditional way with peppers. Does anyone know what kind of vinegar I should use for this recipe? Thanks.

oh wait, I just saw this calls for an entire cup of ketchup. Does anyone know if I could use a can of crushed tomatoes instead?

cozyblanket

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:42 am
I thought this might fit with this thread- do you all think I can make beef with brocolli using chulent meat? I admit I am not such a meat expert. I have a lot of chulent meat and I would love beef with broccoli for our fleishik meals on shavous. Thoughts?

sky

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 10:42 am
Fresh and Easy has a BBQ pepper steak recipe. I think its on this site. I made it in the oven - and it was great.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:57 pm
c899 wrote:

Anyone want to guess whether this would be good heated up for lunch or if it needs to be saucy?

I foolishly defrosted bone-in chicken and the steak meat for this shabbos, without considering that those are both best fresh out of the oven... I guess I could defrost chicken cutlets for lunchtime easily enough and save the bone-chicken for a different night but it's chaval because I usually make that for Shabbos. On the other hand the meat and cutlets are unlikely to produce much leftovers so it will help to have the chicken on a weekday... OK wtvr
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics