Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO OT evaluator for sensory issues (NY)

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 7:08 pm
My ped gave me a list of agencies I could call for an OT evaluation. However I would prefer a specific recommendation of someone who is experienced specifically with sensory integration because I know DD is not going to be approved for any services in the long run (she's doing too well for that) so I would like instead for the evaluation to be more of an educational experience for me - I.e. to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about how they perceive DD's issues and what they would suggest I do about it. I am quite sure she has some problem and would like to nip it in the bud before it gets bigger. However from what I know about EI services they're not going to give her ongoing OT sessions because her other areas of development are B"H on track.

Does that make sense? Does anyone know who would be good for this?

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 7:22 pm
If you don't go through an EI agency, you will have to pay out of pocket. There are many agencies in Brooklyn and all have OT's competent in evaluating for sensory issues. When you call to schedule an appointment just mention that you want someone specifically experienced in this area. A few suggestions:

*Jumpstart
*Yeled V'Yalda
*Challenge

Among many others...

debsters1101

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 7:28 pm
How old is she? If she's doing that well you might just benefit from a book describing sensory activities and what each sensory system encompasses. Im an OT and when I worked in pediatrics I always recommended The Out of Sync Child, and The Out of Sync Child has Fun. Both excellent excellent books for parents. In fact I used it myself all the time for treatment ideas.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 7:40 pm
Yes, I do want to go through an agency so it will be covered by insurance, but don't know which one to call and if I had a name to ask for it would probably be even better.

She's almost 2 and has had some very slight tendencies for a long time but just recently came out with a whole pattern of behaviors that made my radar go off.

I've read both Out of Sync Child books, though not so recently, and am very familiar with the nature of these issues in general as I have a form of SPD myself. However, DD's behavior patterns are puzzling me and I feel I could use an objective, professional perspective to help me figure this out. I've tried some basic strategies like deep massage and offering a variety of stimulating activities/input but they don't seem to be getting me anywhere. Also, most of the strategies I read about seem more geared to the avoidant kids while DD's issue is more about stimming, she seems to crave stronger sensory experiences and I'd love to know if there's anything I can do so she shouldn't need that anymore, rather than just trying to provide it (because that doesn't seem to be helping anyway)

But yeah I should review those books again too!

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 8:26 pm
Also all of the books I've read are geared much more towards older kids. With no basis for comparison it's hard to tell how normal toddler behavior is or isn't in this regard, and some activities also would be appropriate for different ages...

debsters1101

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 8:33 pm
Wow she's so young that really is a very specialized case. Are you suuuuure its sensory? I've never heard of it coming out so young. Thats Not to say it can't happen, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a therapist with that kind of experience. I don't think any of the assessments are evenI geared for kids that young.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 8:46 pm
I guess I'm just hyper-vigilant because of my own sensory problems, but it sure looks to me like she's always extra seeking (I'm more of an avoider/hypersensitive type). I'm worried that if I don't do something about this, 1. she might hurt herself, 2. it will get worse, 3. by the time she gets to school they'll want to diagnose her with ADHD and put her on meds when really she just needs more intense activity. I don't know.

Here are some examples of the sensory-seeking behaviors that intensified over the last couple of months to make me nervous: Toe walking, rubbing face against me, banging head against me, bouncing down hard repeatedly, pinching herself and others, hitting self and others, pressing things against her eyes, spinning (thank G-d she doesn't do so much of this or I'd really be starting to freak out) So I'm sure this is stuff all or many toddlers do pretty often, but because it seems to me like a pattern of sensory seeking I'm just not sure where to draw the line between normal and a possible problem, especially since a lot of it seemed to intensify over a relatively short span of time.

debsters1101

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:13 pm
I definitely hear what you're saying, my bigger question mark comes from the fact that the interventions you're doing aren't helping. If you're sure you're targeting the right sense, and don't see any improvement in that area after specifically geared activities, then A) I questions if its sensory and B) I wonder what else an OT can offer in terms of treatment.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 9:16 pm
I'm not at all sure that I'm doing anything right or targeting anything. That's what I think I need a consult for. What I mean is, I'll give her a deep massage in the hopes it will settle her down, and she'll seem to be liking it a lot, but as soon as I stop she'll be back to bouncing around like a pinball.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 11:35 am
ask step-by-step for Amy Guttman/Singer she is probably one of the most knowledgeable OTs out there, specifically in sensory issues. good luck!!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 1:34 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
Wow she's so young that really is a very specialized case. Are you suuuuure its sensory? I've never heard of it coming out so young. Thats Not to say it can't happen, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a therapist with that kind of experience. I don't think any of the assessments are evenI geared for kids that young.

Im not an OT, just a parent , but I just want to comment on this. I have a child who was diagnosed by several different therapists with spd at around 1.5 years, so its definitely possible. They didnt seem to think it was unusual for it to show so early, and didnt have a problem coming up with a sensory diet and activities for him. I did notice though that The Out Of Sync books were geared to preschool age and up.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 20 2012, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
debsters1101 wrote:

Im not an OT, just a parent , but I just want to comment on this. I have a child who was diagnosed by several different therapists with spd at around 1.5 years, so its definitely possible. They didnt seem to think it was unusual for it to show so early, and didnt have a problem coming up with a sensory diet and activities for him. I did notice though that The Out Of Sync books were geared to preschool age and up.

Same amother here, just wanted to add that the sensory profile questionaire that they used in assessment was appropriate for toddlers, there may have been different sections for different ages but I cant remember for sure as this was a few years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics