Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Molasses

QueenBee

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 12:47 pm
Any ideas of what to do with this?

I heard that it is high in iron. I'd like to enrorporate it into my cooking.
Thanks!

rivki

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 12:54 pm
ginger snaps?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 12:58 pm
You can add it to vegetables. or tea. but the taste is very strong!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 12:59 pm
the whole wheat bread I make calls for mollasses

chen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 2:51 pm
it can susbstitute for honey in recipes though you may have to adjust the volume of liquid. flavor is strong, make sure you like it first. works best with "earthy" type foods like tea breads. yes, it's got iron, but don't be thinking it's a substitute for meat, eggs or other high-iron foods. It isn't.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 3:12 pm
stir half a teaspoon (or to taste) into a cup of milk for a tasty, healthy drink.

carrot

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 4:00 pm
Why don't I ever remember seeing molasses in a store? What kind of store sells it? Is it called by any other name?

I also remember reading that it is very healthy but forgot about it when I didn't see it anywhere.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 4:34 pm
black treacle

chen

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 10:12 am
look in either the baking goods aisle, usually on a high shelf near the corn syrup, or in the pancake-syrup-and-honey aisle, which is often the same aisle as the hot cereals.

QueenBee

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 12:35 pm
I bought in a health food store.

Any one have a recipe for ginger snaps?

Thanks!

shininglight

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 12:39 pm
I used to have a recipe for really yummy molasses cookies ... but I guess that would defeat the purpose of using it for health reasons!

QueenBee

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 9:00 pm
No no Shininglight - I'd love to have the recipe! I can figure it out on my own how to make it healthy (ie ww flour etc)

If they're really delicious - can you post them when you get a chance??

Thanks so much Smile

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 9:39 pm
My mother swears by blackstrap molasses (not the same as the bottle labeled only "molasses" or "dark molasses")...especially for pregnancy (taking 1/2-1 tsp per day) to stay regular and keep iron up.

I have seen regular molasses in the stores by honey/syrup. I have seen blackstrap in regular stores in their "health foods" or "organic" section. I also found it at the health food store in my neighborhood. The only place I could find blackstrap molasses with a hechsher was at the healthfood store and Trader Joe's. The regular molasses in the regular stores that I've seen with a hechsher is triangle-k, which we would use if I wanted regular molasses, but rabbonim have different opinions about that so check that out.

mumof1

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:07 am
check for a recipe for ginger crinkle cookies they all have molasses.
a friend of mine puts it in her kids hot cereal in the morning.

shininglight

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:13 am
No problem - I'll try to find it and post it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen