Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10mo with a broken leg. any experience?

busydev

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 12:54 pm
My 10mo DS fell in the car yesterday and broke his leg Crying b"h its a small fracture below his knee- not thru the bone or anything so it didnt need to be set, just casted up so he cant move it while it heals.

He has been crawling for a few months and cruising almost as long. We really thought he would be walking himself within the next month or so- he has been walking while holding one finger for a couple weeks already and prefers walking to crawling. he will cry until we come and help him walk to where he wants to go instead of crawling. and then he would just continue walking (it was actually getting pretty annoying)

But anywhos for the next 3 weeks (poss 4- we are going back in 3 weeks and hoping thats it) he needs a cast and probably wont be able to do that much walking all together. Does anyone have any experience with a baby getting casts? did they need PT usually or did they just take a little time and then bounce back up? hes very active and has already began crawling around even with the cast. (he only got it a couple hours ago.)

Any hints tips etc would be appreciated.

Also did you just sponge bath them or did you wrap them in plastic and put them in the tub? TIA

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:03 pm
My kid broke his foot when he was almost a year. He had recently started PT and OT cuz he had extremely low muscle tone, so it really set us back. He's fine now, bh. He continued crawling - just dragged the cast behind him. It was over the summer, so long pants weren't a problem. Bath-time was a two person affair - DH held his leg up and I bathed the rest of him.

Give it a little time, and you'll get used to it. You said it's only 4 week, so he'll still be under a year when the cast comes off. Hopefully he'll get right back to where he was up to, physically.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:04 pm
My experience is with an older child, not quite as young as 10 months -- refuah sheleima to your baby!

My youngest brother was probably about 2 when the brother above him (who was about 7 at the time) fell out of a tree and landed on him. The falling brother was fine, but my youngest brother had fractures in his thigh and hip and needed a sort of body cast from the waist down (and the poor kid was still in diapers!).

It was a tough 6 weeks, but I don't remember my brother needing any physical therapy afterwards. He was a little atrophied and slow at first, but he caught back up quickly.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:27 pm
I was the baby in the cast, at about 14 months. No memories. I doubt I had PT and I don't think I had any lasting effects. Of course, if it's warranted go for it.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:31 pm
Refuah shelaima! I'm a therapist- kids rarely need therapy after such a short stint, especially if they are self motivated to move.

busydev

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 1:41 pm
Thanks!!

ok so then probably wont have to deal with PT hopefully thats good news. Yeah he will be under a year still, not much under, but under.

wow bigsis that sounds terrible- your poor brother!! def worse then what DS has.

Emes thanks for the bath tip... Hopefully he will pick up not to far behind where he left off.

so crazy - he has had soooo many falls (thats what happens with an active baby that likes to just go go go) and this one was not the worst in terms of distance... but thats not what counts I suppose.
someone was telling me that her daughter fell off one stair and broke her leg... after many times falling down stairs(many more) with no problem.

well I hope DS doesnt get to fustrated with it- he seems to have been more upset with the temp he had last night until noonish then he is with the cast. that is good at least.

mamalooshin

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:00 pm
Refuah shelaimah!

My granddaughter broke her leg in that area at the same age and was also at about that point of crawling to walking. The first day or so, I believe, were painful and my daughter did give her baby motrin - ask your doctor if that's ok. But when they're that age, they heal super fast, and developmentally she did fine. Do prepare yourself for it to reek after a while. That's normal.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 2:47 pm
Sorry to be so graphic. Watch the diarrhea getting on the cast. My experience was loose stools and smelly casts. Physically, the baby is fine and in his twenties.

mamalooshin

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry to be so graphic. Watch the diarrhea getting on the cast. My experience was loose stools and smelly casts. Physically, the baby is fine and in his twenties.

Really? Why should a baby get diarrhea from a broken bone?

Her soft cast did smell after a while, because that's what happens if you wear anything for so many weeks.

Do keep an eye on the area and/or surrounding area, and report to or visit the doctor if there is any redness (or pimples) and if they're getting worse, make sure to have her seen. My granddaughter had some fungus that started to get infected, and that can get dangerous quickly.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 4:49 pm
mamalooshin wrote:
amother wrote:

Really? Why should a baby get diarrhea from a broken bone?

Her soft cast did smell after a while, because that's what happens if you wear anything for so many weeks.

Do keep an eye on the area and/or surrounding area, and report to or visit the doctor if there is any redness (or pimples) and if they're getting worse, make sure to have her seen. My granddaughter had some fungus that started to get infected, and that can get dangerous quickly.

He got the diarrhea from the medicine. He did not get it directly from the broken bone. His cast was high up his leg. It stunk.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 6:44 pm
You will be utterly amazed how mobile--and FAST--a young'un can be even in a cast. My dh niece wore a brace to correct either pigeon toes or congenital dislocation of the hip,I forgot which. her feet were put into shoes attached to a horizontal bar that forced her feet wide apart and outward. (It wasn't a cast but she had to live in this heavy contraption 24/7; it came off only for bath time.) She couldn't crawl in the normal manner, yet she managed to propel herself with her arms, use her knees for leverage, and scoot around on her belly so fast her mom had trouble keeping up with her. She did not have PT afterwards but she learned how to walk just fine.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 7:03 pm
My sis broke her leg a week after she started walking. I dont think she got PT but she did have to sort of relearn to walk again.

UQT

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 8:23 pm
Your poor baby! And you - it's harder to juggle it all when one kid need so much attention. My daughter broke her leg right after learning to walk, it did take her 2 weeks after the cast & then boot was removed for her to begin walking again. She limped for a few weeks,but it went away on it's own. Just make sure to get supportive sneakers when he begins walking again - it can really make a difference.

Definitely go for sponge bathing at this age. He's too young to understand to keep his cast out of the water. If the cast gets wet it's really problematic (has to be replaced) so its not worth it.

Good luck!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 8:31 pm
My dd has had 30 casts on her feet (15 per foot). She also had the bar that Zaq was talking about. She crawled in the bar without a problem. She also crawled with both legs in full leg casts. After each series of casts come off, she has to relearn how to walk, which could take as long as the casts are on- for example, 2 months of casting may need two months of relearning how to walk- but it never took as long as they said. She does get PT since infancy, but that's for her clubfeet, not because of the casts. I don't think kids need PT after having a cast on for a month.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 4:38 am
My dd had a cast on a fractured leg at 11 months, for about a month or 6 weeks. She learned to crawl around with it, needed no PT, and was just fine afterwards. She loves doing gymnastics today! B"H.

aussie2

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:54 pm
I really don't think you have to worry about PT, sound like most likely it shouldn't be a problem..

My niece broke her leg (falling of a bed) when she was just learning to crawl and sister was soooo nervous it would set her back with crawling. In the end, she actually learnt to crawl with the cast on and continued after they removed the cast. At this point she is 3 and totally up to par in everything.

Hatzlacha with your baby!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics