Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Modest bathing suit - some q's

ganizzy

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 1:40 am
where do u wear this?
would u wear it in a mixed gym? would u look crazy swimming in it?

also does the skirt or shirt ride up when swimming?

when the dress/shirt gets wet, r u still tznius or is it very tight fitted?

thanks

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 7:33 pm
I understand from Chabad rabbonim that mixed swimming is not allowed, regardless of what is worn or not worn.

granolamom

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 8:39 pm
ganizzy wrote:
where do u wear this?
would u wear it in a mixed gym? would u look crazy swimming in it?

also does the skirt or shirt ride up when swimming?

when the dress/shirt gets wet, r u still tznius or is it very tight fitted?

thanks

I'm no posek so take with a grain of salt.
you'd wear it where ever you would swim. or if you're boating. or surfing or any water-related activity. some women wear this swimming in women only pools, not everyone will wear a regular swim suit even when in an women-only pool. I wouldnt wear it in a mixed gym, but I'm sure people do. I'd just feel silly because to me its swimwear and I've never seen anyone in the gym in swimwear.
imo, yes, you look crazy swimming in it, but that never stopped anyone (nor would it stop me)
the shirt does not ride up
the skirt rides up a bit but there are sewn in pants and if you're in the water no one can see anything.
when its wet it is very clingy as you would expect from wet fabric.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 9:29 pm
My friends wear it to sit at the edge of a mixed in-ground kiddie pool to watch their toddlers swim.

I'd wear it at a separate beach in Israel, where there's a male lifeguard.

Mommy F.

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 9:39 pm
http://www.mikvahminder.com/aq......html

I know girls that wear them so that they can go to mixed water parks
or sprinkler splash pads
or waiting pools that are outdoors in parks.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 9:52 pm
Going to mixed water parks is also a shaylah.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 10:01 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I understand from Chabad rabbonim that mixed swimming is not allowed, regardless of what is worn or not worn.

But wearing a sport bra and spandex shorts in a mixed gym is ok?

granolamom

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 1:38 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

But wearing a sport bra and spandex shorts in a mixed gym is ok?

I dont think anyone said the sports bra/spandex shorts in mixed gym is ok. if they did, I missed it.

I think the OP didnt ask about the halachic issues of mixed swimming, she just wants to know about the swimsuit.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:51 pm
We discussed this recently in shul and one of the women told me that she asked the rov who told her that swimming is a different sort of exercise and that it could not be done mixed.

I don't know who the tsnius swimsuit market is aimed at, honestly.

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:54 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We discussed this recently in shul and one of the women told me that she asked the rov who told her that swimming is a different sort of exercise and that it could not be done mixed.

ppl that don't want to wear a next to nothing bathing suit even in front of all women.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 1:09 am
octopus wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

ppl that don't want to wear a next to nothing bathing suit even in front of all women.

I use mine a lot for supervising.

When we go to Netanya, we go to a quiet beach. Usually most of the people there are charadi women who have *gasp* little boys. So they can't go to the women's hours with their kids. Or they have bigger girls and little boys. The woman are usually wearing robes, adn the girls skirts and shirts.

I have a tzinus suit. It's princess modesta. I like how it dries quickly, the sand brushes off, also mine does have a flap on the front, so even when it's wet it's doesn't cling (the inside part does, but the outer flap dries really quick and even when wet isn't that clingy.

I don't use mine for swimming because I don't get out much to swim lately. I mostly use it for bringing my kids to the pool or the beach, or for some of the walks through rivers, etc. where you get wet. Much more comfortable than a skirt with a shirt. Did I mention when I get up from the beach I am not covered in wet sand encrusted cotton? Worth it right there!

slushiemom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 1:39 am
chocolate moose wrote:

I have one, as do most of my friends, and I wore it just about every day last summer. We belong to a pool that's not seperate, and I wear it when I go with my kids- I'm not mixed swimming, I'm sitting in the kiddie pool with my kids (4 and 5) or at the side of the big pool with them.

I also wear it when we take family trips to the beach (when I go on my own with friends we go to the seperate beach and then I wear a regular bathing suit).

I wore it at my in laws house, they have a pool and I took my kids in the pool a lot last summer when my FIL was around.

it's very comfortable, even when wet I found the top isnt clingy- the skirt gets clingy to the pants underneath, but you just pull it as you come out of the water.

I bought a hydrochic one.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 1:40 am
I wear a Lands End coverup into the water, in women's only pools. I don't swim that often. If I were in the market for a new swimsuit, I'd probably buy a "modest" one, and skip the coverup in the pool. It's better sun protection too.

I like modest swimsuits for my little boys, because when they come home from the beach, they can just keep wearing them for a while. And when they have water activities at gan, they can just go to gan in the swimsuit - it's like clothes. And it protects them from the sun.

mimimom

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 1:16 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Um---the rest of the frum (non-Lubavitch) world maybe?

I wear an AquaModesta suit to a college pool where I swim for my arthritis, and no one has batted an eye at it. I felt self-conscious at first, but I got over it, and the swimming helps my pain tremendously.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars