Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to make shabbos special?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 11:50 am
My 7 year old is having such trouble with shabbos. Unfortunately he feels so restricted when it comes to shabbos. He has voiced this many times and goes to great lengths to make it miserable for the rest of the family We tried special games that we only use shabbos or special cereal but it only worked for a week or two. He feels like he wants to color, use muktza toys (which I am trying to not make a huge deal of and try to ignore a bit to not blow this out of proportion) Has anyone had experience with this or any ideas on something I can do? TIA

Happy18

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:27 pm
Growing up we got shabbos presents about half an hour before shabbos. The gifts varied and were always toys/games/books that could be used over shabbos. As an adult I realize that most of the gifts came from amazing savings and the dollar store, but to a kid going into shabbos with a new toy was very exciting. Eventually it evolved to the point where we got a gift every few weeks to once a month to just before chaggim. Its not a perfect solution, but something to consider.

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:36 pm
What about going for a walk and taking him to a playground? My kids love that both parents have so much time for them on Shabbos.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 1:44 pm
come up with some new family traditions. set aside a time each shabbos for a family board game. have some special books to read together after candle lighting. look through photo albums from when you were little. put on plays and have him make the sound effects. play charades. make a fruit salad together and make pictures out of the fruit.

I'm in middle of reading the little house books to my kids, mostly on shabbos. that's when we really have time for it. I highly recommend them.

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 3:51 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
come up with some new family traditions. set aside a time each shabbos for a family board game. have some special books to read together after candle lighting. look through photo albums from when you were little. put on plays and have him make the sound effects. play charades. make a fruit salad together and make pictures out of the fruit.

I'm in middle of reading the little house books to my kids, mostly on shabbos. that's when we really have time for it. I highly recommend them.

I agree. I can't imagine a kid not wanting/looking forward to some 1on1 time-doing things that HE enjoys!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children