Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
"Mommy I dont want to go on the bus"

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 9:43 pm
It was my almost 3 yrs old sons 3rd day in school. I took him the first 2 days by cab and he went home by bus. today was the first day I put him on the bus to go to school and he was not happy! when he came home today he didnt stop telling me "Mommy I dont want to go on the bus"! He did tell me earlier that another kid smacked him... what do I do? school is not walking distance and I dont have a car. Do I continue taking a cab with him and eventually he will let me know when hes ready?( if ever?) or will he just get use to the idea of a bus? I feel like a bad mother to force him to go on if hes not comfotable and looks like hes about to cry!! what to do??

de_goldy

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 9:52 pm
Try to go with him on the bus a few times.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 9:55 pm
Tough one - I can't imagine putting such a young kid on a school bus but I see you have little choice and I'm sure it's more common where you live.

Does he have any friends riding with him? Maybe you can make a big deal about him having a particular buddy to sit with? Or a special (somewhat healthy) breakfast snack he can have once he sits down?

leah66

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 11:02 pm
Ask the bus monitor to sit him in the front seat where she can keep an eye on him.

Fox

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 11:16 am
Oh, boy! This is a tough one!

Buses are notorious hotbeds of bullying and general mayhem. I opted out of buses after boys removed my third grade son's shoes. He got one of them back, but came limping home without the other!

I'd recommend riding the bus with him to try to get a sense of what's going on. Either he'll adjust or you'll discover that the bus is no place for a nice Jewish boy.

In the meantime, start talking to the school and other parents to arrange some kind of alternative, should it be necessary. My guess is that your son isn't the only 3-year-old who is overwhelmed by the bus experience. A shared car service or a parent with a car who can be compensated is likely to be a cheaper alternative that taking him to school by taxi each morning.

baba

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:26 pm
My daughter had a hard time. We gave her a picture of us in her hand to hold during the ride. It really helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics