Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
EASY soup recipe

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 1:55 pm
I need an easy soup recipe for a meal on yom tov. Nothing using a blender or food processor, minimal chopping, really easy. Think "I'm nine months pregnant and can't move" easy. REALLY easy.

Any ideas? I don't mind buying convenience foods at this point, but would like not to spend TOO much. Milchik is fine. Or pareve.

kb

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 1:56 pm
Mushroom barley or split pea?

rachel91

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 2:09 pm
brocolli soup is easy but you'll have to use a blender at the end...can be made with milk or pareve.

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 2:13 pm
Crockpot Vegetable soup:

10 oz fresh baby spinach leaves (I use a frozen brick instead, and it works fine)
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped (I use more)
4 cups vegetable broth (I use the boxed stuff, but you could even use a bouillon cube)
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Throw in crockpot and cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 3:21 pm
Split Pea Soup

16 oz. bag split peas
1 medium onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1-4 carrot, diced
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6-8 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil. Let simmer, on low flame for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 3:29 pm
Thank you, everyone! Any more ideas? The people I'm making this for don't like pea soup and don't love vegetable soup. Is mushroom barley really easy? I don't generally make soups, so I'm really stuck. Any other ideas are welcome!

goodmorning

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 3:36 pm
May I recommend purchasing an immersion blender? It takes about a minute to blend a whole pot of soup and another minute to wash it. (Get the kind that has a bottom that separates from the top for ease of washing and toiveling.)

That said, since you're probably not going to get one before YT ... my go-to easy soup is zucchini: sauté onions and garlic, chop (no need to peel, hence the ease) as many zucchini as it takes to fill the pot roughly 2/3 - 3/4, add water and whatever spices you'd like. I usually blend this after it's cooked, but it will be fine if you don't too.

Or potato soup - chop potatoes and onions (no need to sauté, though it won't hurt), dump in pot with water and a lot of salt and pepper. If you cook it long enough, the potatoes will cook down and "melt" into small pieces and thicken the soup -- no need to blend.

And easy tomato soup: sauté onions and garlic or just dump them in, add frozen/canned vegetables (the peas/carrots/corn type). Add a can of tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes, water and spices. (Basil and oregano are especially good). You can add a can of beans/chickpeas or lentils to thicken it, or add macaroni (alphabet noodles look very authentic) at the end.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 4:18 pm
Both of these are easy, cheap, parve, and don't require blending:

Really easy tomato soup: (small recipe serves about 4, double as needed)
Sautee a diced onion
Add about half a green pepper diced
Pour in one can (16 oz? Or whatever's closest. Or 2 cups from a bigger can) of tomato JUICE.
And the same amount of water - refill the can from the sink and dump in.
1 rounded Tbsp sugar
1 scant Tbsp salt
A few spoons of rice - 3-4 is good, more if you like your soup really ricey.
Cook at a low bubble until the rice is soft.

Really easy potato soup (this one requires more chopping but pull up a chair, it's not so hard):
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
Peel, dice and add 1 large onion, 4 large potatoes
About 1/4 tsp pepper, a DROP more if you like
2-3 tsp salt
Some chopped parsley - a small handful if fresh, maybe one Tablespoon if dried (it's stronger)
Boil until potatoes are very soft
Smash around a bit with a spoon so some of the potatoes start to crumble and thicken the soup.
If you want it richer and milchig, use less water and add the equivalent amount of milk close to the end.

sped

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 4:31 pm
My really quick and easy ones:
Easiest tomato-rice soup:
Fry a bit of white rice in a drop of oil. Add a can of tomato juice, slat and sugar to taste. Cook until rice is soft.
It's yummy and everyone here really loves it.

Red-lentil soup
Sautee chopped onion and garlic, add water, lentils, salt and pepper. Cook until soft. You can add a bit of finely chopped tomato or, easier, some tomato paste, for extra flavor.

skinny

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 4:38 pm
Hug from one very pregnant chicka 2 another! if ur makeing milchig french onion soup is easy u sautee sliced onions till brown add water some milk and onion soup mix salt pepper let boil top with slice of cheese.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 5:01 pm
Frozen vegetables are great. You can get onions, zucchini, butternut squash and others. They don't always cost more, and it doesn't sound like such a time saver but it really is. I've also successfully used can potatoes in place of fresh. Just cut down on the salt.

Squash Soup:

1 large onion, diced
4 gloves garlic, crushed
4 small or 2 large zucchini unpeeled and cubed (or 2 bags frozen zucchini)
4 potatoes, cubed (or sweet potatoes for a different taste)
1 T - 1 1/2 T salt (taste before adding more)
1/4 tsp pepper
10 - 12 cups water

in 6 qt pot saute onion and garlic in oil. Add veggies and saute for 5 minutes. Add water and spices. Cook for 1 hour. Blend.

Mushroom Barley Soup:
1 medium onion, dices
2 10 oz packages mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 carrots, sliced
2 celery, sliced
4 T mushroom soup mix
2 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 cup barley

In 8 qt pot saute onions in oil. Add veggies and saute until limp. Add spices and barley. Cover with water to 3/4 full. Cook over medium heat for 2 1/2 hours.

butternut squash soup
2 medium betternut squash (used bagged frozen squash to make this easier)
2 T oil
1 onion, diced
2 cups chicken broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp chicken soup mix)
2 - 3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper (taste for more)
4 cups water

peel squash. remove seeds and cut into chunks
in 4 qt pot saute onion until limp. Add squash and squte for 10 minutes. Add all ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heate and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree.

Optional - top with roasted sesame seeds

Roasted Garlic Soup
1 head garlic
3 T oil, divided
2 medium onions, diced
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups chicken broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp chicken soup mix)
4 cups water
1 tsp salt (or more)

remove loose skin from garlic. Place whole head in foil and drizzle with 1 T oil. cover tightly and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool.
In 4 qt pot saute onions in 2 T oil until limp. Peel garlic Add all ingredients including garlic. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree.

For a fancy serving spoon the butternut squash soup and potato soup at the same time into a bowl to get a 2 tone soup.

checkbefore

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 6:53 pm
It doesn't get easier than eggdrop soup!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/egg-drop-soup-I/

a1mom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 7:35 pm
cabbage soup can be made meat or pareve
saute an onion
add 1-2 bags coleslaw mix and saute
add tomato juice or a mix of tomato sauce and water
add salt pepper, garlic powder a little brown sugar and a little lemon juice
can add meat bones or pieces of flanken for a really hearty appetizer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics