Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Preparing Challah for Stuffing/Kugel

Grandma 1

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 8:35 pm
I usually make a savory bread kugel/stuffing, using packaged unseasoned bread stuffing mix, which is actually croutons. Now, I want to use leftover challah, instead. I let the challah dry out in a brown paper bag. Do I now cut it up into crouton-sized pieces? or just tear it up into randomsize pieces? If I'm not ready to make it yet, do I freeze the challah whole, and tear/cut it up larer, after I defrost it - or do I tear or cut it up, and then freeze?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 8:39 pm
I just break it up randomly. Shouldn't matter whether you do it before or after freezing. After all, your whole point is going to be to mix it into a big mush and recook it...

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 8:50 pm
I make bread stuffing with leftover challah regularly. I don't dry the challah out -- as you noted, bread stuffing is supposed to be savory. I simply break it into small pieces. The challah will defrost a lot faster if you break it up before freezing and it will be ready to use immediately, but really there shouldn't be much difference in the taste or texture.

Grandma 1

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 9:02 pm
The reaason I let it dry out, is because the croutons which I used in the original recipe, are dry, or toasted.

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 9:23 pm
I save bread in the freezer for making stuffing or bread crumbs (whichever I need first). If I'm paying attention I'll tear it up ahead of time, but if I'm not I'll just toss it in. Then I'll tear it up when I take it out. I only make a point of drying/toasting it if the pieces get freezer burned and I want them to be dry when I mix things up.

it's an awesome way to use up bread ends and leftover bits of challah and so on!

nylon

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 9:34 pm
I cut bread into cubes and toast it lightly in the oven at 350. As well as texture, I like the toasted taste.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 11:08 pm
Do any of the things you mentioned; it's all good. I save it in a ziplok bag, usually tearing it into big bite-size chunks first but not necessarily. If the bread was pretty dry to begin with, it breaks up easily even when frozen; cutting it up frozen is a problem only if it was put away too fresh and therefore containing too much water. (in which case I'd nuke it before using if I froze a big mass without breaking it up first). As seeker says, it's all going to be mixed together into a mush anyway, so what you do makes no difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur