Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How To Get IV For YK In Spring Valley, NY Neighborhood
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:05 pm
Any ideas how I can go about getting IV for someone in Spring Valley neighborhood for Yom Kippur day? Do I need a prescription?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:06 pm
Oh for heaven's sake.

If a person is sick enough to need an IV, they should drink.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:09 pm
It has actually come up limaysah where we asked a rav if I had a choice to be discharged from the hospital erev yom kippur and have to eat or have another day here and be on iv and he said iv is preferred.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:16 pm
thats what the rav paskined. Confused

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoeboxgirly

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:27 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
It has actually come up limaysah where we asked a rav if I had a choice to be discharged from the hospital erev yom kippur and have to eat or have another day here and be on iv and he said iv is preferred.

That's not the same as walking in to the hospital to get an IV.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:29 pm
Mollys Mama wrote:
thats what the rav paskined. Confused

Same here. 3 years ago rav paskened I should rather take IV than drink so in Square there is someone who does that without perscription for no charge. I think his name is Sh.L. Fedder. I can try to get his phone number if you are interested.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:31 pm
That is bizarre. I hope you have good veins! I assume they are starting the IV before YK and hoping it lasts, because drawing blood is as of an issur as drinking, and more than drinking by shiurim.

anotherima

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:35 pm
My husband was just mentioning that Rav Moshe Feinstien said not to get an IV for the purpose of fasting on Yom Kippur because you are not supposed to make cuts in your body for this purpose, only when medically indicated.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 12:56 pm
even if a non-jew does it?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

mvp

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 1:06 pm
It doesn't matter who does it - we are not allowed to inflict cuts upon our bodies at all. It is not a simple matter to be attached to an IV. Torah never requires us to do beyond what our body is capable of. Holocho is that if it's a danger to fast - you are not allowed to fast. What is the purpose of going around this holocho?
I cannot imagine how anyone can justify such a psak - most robbonim are against doing this.

Inspired

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 1:51 pm
You are creating an unneeded sakana, opening up a pathway for infection.

Bleemee

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:03 pm
I know some nursing/pregnant moms who had an IV put in to make it easier for them to fast- I don't think they did it because it was dangerous without it (so dangerous that they would just drink). I understood that it was prevention? I think they were advised to do so by their LOR.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:14 pm
Bleemee wrote:
I know some nursing/pregnant moms who had an IV put in to make it easier for them to fast- I don't think they did it because it was dangerous without it (so dangerous that they would just drink). I understood that it was prevention? I think they were advised to do so by their LOR.

Exactly. I was pregnant with mild preterm labor. Dr said its 'better' not to fast so I had an IV put in to prevent contractions due to dehydration

CatLady

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:19 pm
I never heard of having an IV inserted as an aid for fasting before being on imamother, and it strikes me as totally unnecessary when there are explicitly clear halachic guidelines for people in compromised medical conditions. I sincerely hope that this is not done by anyone outside of a hospital setting, and may we all have a safe and easy fast.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:41 pm
NYmommy wrote:
Bleemee wrote:

Exactly. I was pregnant with mild preterm labor. Dr said its 'better' not to fast so I had an IV put in to prevent contractions due to dehydration

Your doctor authorized and prescribed an IV?

NYmommy

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:47 pm
She did not give me a prescription, she just told me there is a guy who does that & I should contact him. When we asked our rav about it he said we either do sheurim after getting a second opinion from a different doctor or do the IV thing which is more ok halachadig.

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 2:55 pm
I had an IV on yom kippur at the beginning of my pregnancy. The dr said to speak to my rav, but he allowed me to fast if I had the IV. The rav said if the dr allowed it, then I should do that. Unfortunately, the line blew by the next morning, but I didn't break my fast cuz I wouldn't have kept it down anyway.

Later on I got a PICC line inserted, but I do know lots of people who do IV when pregnant on Yom kippur.

Older people also do IV. In the shul I went to, there was always a room set up with IV stuff for emergencies and stuff like that.

With regards to OPs question - call any paramedic that works for Hatzala. They have all the equipment, and it can be done without a prescription - normal saline bags.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 3:08 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
I had an IV on yom kippur at the beginning of my pregnancy. The dr said to speak to my rav, but he allowed me to fast if I had the IV. The rav said if the dr allowed it, then I should do that. Unfortunately, the line blew by the next morning, but I didn't break my fast cuz I wouldn't have kept it down anyway.

Later on I got a PICC line inserted, but I do know lots of people who do IV when pregnant on Yom kippur.

Older people also do IV. In the shul I went to, there was always a room set up with IV stuff for emergencies and stuff like that.

With regards to OPs question - call any paramedic that works for Hatzala. They have all the equipment, and it can be done without a prescription - normal saline bags.

You do understand that there is a difference between the administration of IV fluids by trained professionals (such as EMTs) in the case of emergencies, and administration of such medical treatment absent medical need.

the chevrah

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 3:18 pm
I was also told by my rabbi to get IV rather than drinking shiurim.

JC

Post Mon, Sep 24 2012, 4:46 pm
Husband is a doctor who has has complete access and ability to administer IVs.
ONLY once when I was really sick was he willing to (stomach issues and couldnt keep stuff down which was following a migraine attack)

I have asked MANY times because I would rather have an IV than take pills or drink icky meds- it is so difficult for me to take meds by mouth especially when I am sick, and I dont mind needles or IVs

BUT HE WONT DO IT BECUASE ITS NOT A GOOD THING, there are safety issues that while rare are REAL. It makes sense if its medically necessary, but if you can physically drink - then its not medically necessary

This whole discussion is ridiculous and I would suggest you ask any Rabbi who suggests this to reexamine his decision by speaking to medical doctors who are NOT swayed by their own religious view and get a purely medical point of view if this is putting people at unnecessary risk for infection and other issues.

You are supposed to fast unless its a danger to your health - then you can not fast
Why is OK to introduce an new danger (though maybe less risky) ITS STILL a danger to have an IV
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur