Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
ISO Susie Fishbein's basic kreplach recipe

its all good

Post Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:35 pm
Im looking for a basic kreplach recipe. I once tried a recipe from Susie Fishbein and I really liked it, the thing is I can't find the recipe anywhere. If anyone has the recipe I would really appreciate it! TIA!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 07 2011, 9:21 am
If it's the one from KBD, that's what I made last night (I handcopied the recipe years ago and never made it, so I hope it's right!)

2 large eggs -- beat till frothy
1/4 tsp salt
1.5-2 C flour, sifted -- add till it makes a stiff dough

Knead for 5 minutes to make it elasticy.

Roll VERY thinly, and cut into 3" squares.
Fill with beef sauteed with onion.
Wet the edges, and fold up.

Let dry for an hour.

Drop in a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 15 minutes.

its all good

Post Fri, Oct 07 2011, 11:33 am
yes this is the one, thank you!

can anyone double check their book to make sure nothing was left out? I would really appreciate it!

Inspired

Post Tue, Sep 25 2012, 2:50 am
does anyone know if this is all the ingredients? Thanks.

September June

Post Tue, Sep 25 2012, 10:49 am
Yes, it is.

Liebs

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 3:07 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If it's the one from KBD, that's what I made last night (I handcopied the recipe years ago and never made it, so I hope it's right!)

2 large eggs -- beat till frothy
1/4 tsp salt
1.5-2 C flour, sifted -- add till it makes a stiff dough

Knead for 5 minutes to make it elasticy.

Roll VERY thinly, and cut into 3" squares.
Fill with beef sauteed with onion.
Wet the edges, and fold up.

Let dry for an hour.

Drop in a pot of boiling salted water and cook for 15 minutes.

About how many does this make?
Any spices in meat mixture?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 2:40 pm
Is this a good recipe for a person who has never made this before?

myself

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 3:19 pm
The recipes I've used in the past were extremely sticky. Is Susie's recipe easy to work with, or sticky to handle?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:12 pm
I don't know about this dough, but this is my first time making it, I am in the middle of this recipe:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....54108
and the dough is not elasticy at all - I've actually had to add some water to get it to the right consistency, but it looks good now.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:29 pm
I did a simpler interpretation of this one

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitc.....lach/

dough:2 cups flour, 3 medium eggs, 1 tsp salt. Mix by hand, leave to rest for 20 mins.

Filling: 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken (I used leftover roast chicken and some boiled from carcasses in fresh soup), 1 large onion, chopped and sauted in 3 tablespoons of oil until just transparent, a couple of tablespoons of chicken soup and a sprinkling of bread crumbs to make it easier to handle, plus salt and pepper.

Rolled v thin with rolling pin, cut out roughly circular shapes and filled, rolled into half moon and then curled into little bagel shapes with filling on one side, as that is our traditional beloved kreplach shape.

It was so easy, easier than using wonton wrappers (which I did as well for the healthier option!?), as the dough is more pliable and easier to handle.

I boiled in chicken soup for 10 mins or so, until they rose to the top and then a few more minutes, and then fished them out.

They tasted divine - much nicer than shop bought, which we had last year. Made maybe 40 or so - enough for yom kippur and hoshana rabba and some extras for over yom tov as a treat!

It took a good 2 hours to do, including shredding chicken by hand as I don't have a flaishig mixer or chopper, so was a real labor of love, but it did feel good to look at the ones in the shop today and know I had made ones that looked and tasted even better for a fraction of the price!

On the other hand, I am not doing much more cooking for yomtov as I'm working every day that isn't shabbos or yomtov until the end of sukkos, so spending time doing this one specific thing felt really good.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 9:42 am
Liebs wrote:
About how many does this make?
Any spices in meat mixture?

I got 18.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus