Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Is anyone else missing those 3 day yom tovs???
Previous  1  2

1tiredmom

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 9:50 am
Kol Hakovod to Boysrus!
You have the right idea!

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 10:08 am
There is a predictability to a three day yom tov that I miss. You have a full Sunday/Monday/Tues and part of wed for three weeks almost.

I work part time and last year I worked the three days and then had yomtov this year its like a puzzle, how to squeeze in work between yomtov and shabbos.

rivk241

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 12:14 pm
im newly pregnant and we are always home for everything this yr I find it extra hard .... all my friends just had babies so not getting invited out for any meals! we like to stay home rather than move into parents but the cooking is waaayy too much...today im not cooking at all just need a break motzei shabbos will be cooking with husband... I dont know which way is better both hard!!

baba

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 12:36 pm
So, how is everyone motivating themselves to cook AGAIN!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 12:39 pm
baba wrote:
So, how is everyone motivating themselves to cook AGAIN!
There is no motivation at all. Its a true struggle. Im waiting for some good yom tov music tomorrow morning and will then try to get into the cooking.

ffbmom

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 9:21 pm
or, like someone said, "I can't remember if, when I get up in the morning, I have to order the fish, cook the fish, or eat the fish today." That about sums it up. Baruch Hashem for Yamim Tovim.

Marion

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 10:21 pm
I don't cook twice. I cook for Shabbat, and cook double what I need for whatever fleishig meals we have. For Rosh Hashanah, the 2nd night was just us and it was planned leftovers. I also made all my challah ahead and frose for YT. (Sorry, missing a key on my keyboard.) And did a huge batch of desserts.

catonmylap

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 10:29 pm
Since this is the only way I get off erev chag without using a vacation day, I'm loving it.

I have all day to get ready; rather than having to work until 1pm, and then come home and cook.

We also have some leftovers, so I'm only adding a few things...

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 29 2012, 10:44 pm
When people in my family really hate something, they call it a kapparah. Three day yomtovim are a kapparah, and when there are three of them in one month, it's a kapparah for the ages. No, I don't miss them at all.

willow

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 4:43 am
Maybe my Hasgafos are wrong but I sincerely detest three day straight of food, no sensible showers, unable to properly wash down the house and being unable to do muktsa.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 5:14 am
Last night I was grateful Shabbos ended as early as it did so I could wash all the dishes, do one load of laundry and sort the rest, and figure out what needed defrosting so I could prep first thing this morning. Challah's up, pepper steak's marinating. And again, B"H for freezers. I have some soups, kugels, entrees, all desserts and cakes. (I've been stressed out. When the going gets tough, the tough makes something with chocolate Tongue Out . Plus leftovers from a simcha.)

P.S. I think for a lot of us, the marathon of this configuration, esp. ch"l is about as stressful as 3 day yom tovs. B"H I enjoy cooking.* I'm so glad that cooking's the major housework need that needs serious attention as I enjoy it. Sure, cleanliness is important for a yom tov atmosphere and life in general, but it's not like the same intensity's required.

Which doesn't mean I don't get burnt out, and as I'm getting older, I have to pace myself a bit.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 5:19 am
I froze so much food for rosh hashana my freezers can't fit anything else. all I am making today are soups and meats. Struggling with temptation to make fresh challa...I've got in the freezer but nothing like fresh.

got 2 huge briskets in the oven, I'll make some chicken soon, and soups.

Also, you CAN cook on yom tov. If I don't get done all I need to do I'm not worried.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 5:49 am
I'm with you catonmylap. I'm also ABSOLUTELY loving erev chag on a Sunday so don't have to go in to work a half day or take a vacation day. The way the yomim tovim come out this year is absolutely perfect!! Will never miss 3 day yom tovs...

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 6:53 am
I also much prefer it this way, especialy with a baby B"H I can get loads done on Sundays while DH watches the baby.

Also, I cooked up a huge batch of schnizel for the freezer, should be enough for several meals so one per chag plus a Shabbat meal are taken care of right off the top. Then, for the Shabbat before Rosh Hashanna I doubled up on both meals so that was another two meals in the freezer. This Shabbat just gone I cooked the same baked chichen for both meals so that was easy and quick and did another double portion of cholent in the crock pot for the freezer at the same time so two more meals for the freezer with little effort.

Nope, don't miss the 3 day Yom Tovs! It is perfect this way with a one day breather to have a decent shower, go to the supermarket for fresh veggies and salad, clean the house, get through a few loads of washing...

Chloe22

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 8:54 am
I also like it this way. I like the break. I like being able to shop, shower, etc. In terms of work, it's easiest when Yom Tov falls out on Shabbos and Sunday ( I don't lose so much vacation time).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics