Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vaccines - Feeling awful, can you commiserate or support?
Previous  1  2

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 8:33 pm
Thank you everyone for being supportive and non-judgy. It is good to know my feelings aren't unusual.

Of the three who were vaxed today, the littlest sat on my husband's lap, whined and whined and whined and then the split second the doctor said "it's over!" said "Where's my cookie?" (We had promised cookies post-needle.) My oldest was very brave and didn't like it but volunteered to go first and set a good example for the others. My middle child though sat on my lap and didn't try to squirm away but just sobbed heartbreakingly, which is what broke my heart.

I just saw him after dinner, though (he was at a post-school playdate) and he said it barely hurts anymore, and I said "you know why we do this, right?" and he said "I know, it's to stop us from getting really sick." And that made it feel a bit easier - he may hate it but he understands why we think it's necessary.

I never really got it, before having my own kids - you love them so much you would happily undergo the suffering yourself if you could do it for them.

observer

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 8:45 pm
sky wrote:
Or I told ds (3 yrs) he should show dd (2 yrs) it didn't hurt.

Why would you tell your kids something that is not true? You can say it's quick, it'll be over in a minute, it's probably not as bad as you think, etc. but to say that it doesn't hurt is just not true.

Frenchfry wrote:
My pediatrician gives shots that don't hurt

Here's how: he puts the needle into the vile(s) that have the liquid to be injected in them. He then CHANGES the needle head because when jamming the needle into the vile, it dulls it slightly. The sharper the needle, the less it hurts.

While I'm sure that helps somewhat, very often what hurts is the actual stuff that's going in to them.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:05 pm
observer wrote:
sky wrote:
Or I told ds (3 yrs) he should show dd (2 yrs) it didn't hurt.

Why would you tell your kids something that is not true? You can say it's quick, it'll be over in a minute, it's probably not as bad as you think, etc. but to say that it doesn't hurt is just not true.

I think because he wasn't expecting it to hurt him it didn't. It was a second and he didn't react to it, he took his sticker and moved on. And I didn't tell him it wouldn't hurt, I told him to act like it didn't for dd and he did just that. There was no screaming or theatrics involved - it was great - because its not always like that.

Quote:
While I'm sure that helps somewhat, very often what hurts is the actual stuff that's going in to them.

Maybe people feel shots differently but I just got my flu shot and it didn't hurt all that much, and the stuff going in didn't hurt at all. there was just a small prick when the needle went in. So I dont' think I have to prepare them for pain really because if your not looking for it you may just miss it.

small bean

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:16 pm
sky I agree...

I have 2 kids who don't react to the prick at all and 1 that screams at the idea of getting a shot.

it doesn't really hurt all that much.

I tell my kids why they are getting the shot and explain to them what a shot is. So they are confident.

my kids don't cry usually by blood tests either - because they know what is going on and it only hurts for one second while they put the needle in the skin.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:20 pm
Some vaccines do hurt more as they burn when they enter the muscle.

CYsmom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:48 pm
observer wrote:

CYsmom wrote:
At the ped I worked for, it was MY job to hold the kids down for shots, never the mother! in fact, few moms would say they can't handle seeing it so they'd walk out of the room and I would be holdimg their child.

Sorry, but that sounds really selfish. Of course it's easier for the mother to walk out, but what about the child getting the shot? That's when he really needs his Mommy with him. How would a woman feel if during labor her husband left her alone with the nurses, telling her that it was too hard for him to see her in pain and he'll come back when it's over. I strongly feel that the mother's place is next to her child when he/she needs her.

sorry, I wasn't clear. Sure a child needs his mommy, but if the mom was the squeemish type who would pass out at the sight of blood she would not watch or many times they would send their husbands for shots. otherwise the moms wre usually holding the child's hand and distracting them while I hugged/held the child (mainly if they were at the age and the type to run away)
for my own DS I rub his cheek as he gets the shot so he kows I'm there. Hes only had shots twice though as he is just 5 mos.
I too have heard about nursing while they get a shot, I may do that when we go back.
As a nurse I've seen my share of shots and thought it was no biggy....till I became a mommy! its a million times harder when it is your own baby! But again, may healthy check-ups be the only thing we bring our kids to the Doctor for!

bradybunch

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:55 pm
My pediatricians offices would never let me nurse or hold a child while getting a shot. Both of the offices we've been in, in different parts of the country. So I'm thinking it isn't uncommon to have a policy against it. Thankfully it has never been a big issue...they don't get too upset and are calmed down very quickly afterwards.

paperclip

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 12:44 am
I used to hold my children down to vaccinate them , thinking I am doing a goodthing, but felt bad about what I was doing. I know now why I felt bad and wanted to cry while vaccinating my children. I will never vaccinate my kids again , ( but my heart goes out for those that are vaccinated) I have done my research for 7 years now and know why I wont do it anymore.

de_goldy

Post Fri, Oct 12 2012, 1:07 am
chanees wrote:
I used to hold my children down to vaccinate them , thinking I am doing a goodthing, but felt bad about what I was doing. I know now why I felt bad and wanted to cry while vaccinating my children. I will never vaccinate my kids again , ( but my heart goes out for those that are vaccinated) I have done my research for 7 years now and know why I wont do it anymore.

This thread is almost a year old.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics