Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Coonductive hearing loss

RY

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:22 am
my daughter stopped hearing from one day to the next (or atleast thats what it sounded like) we ran to dr who said its bec of an infection. we treated it and when we finished the pediatrician said its fine but she still didnt hear. so we went to ent who said its conductive hearing loss caused by fluid behind her eardrum. im confused and terrified this shouldnt b permanent. right now were treating it with claritin which I supposed to get rid of the fluid. any info on this?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:48 am
My son has sensorineural hearing loss, which is permanent and requires hearing aids (and for some children implants.) Conductive hearing loss, although scary, is not permanent, and can usually be treated with medication to reduce fluid. Does your daughter have frequent ear infections? Talk to your ENT about the possibility of tubes to reduce the fluid.

RY

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 12:54 pm
any idea if fluid behind the eardrum is also treatable?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:12 pm
It is absolutely treatable and your daughter will be'ezras Hashem be fine. If the claratin doesn't help, talk to your doctor about tubes.
If your dd is very young, and ear infections/ fluid in the ears is chronic, then she may need speech therapy, but only maybe.
I'm a speech language pathologist Smile anon bc I'd rather ppl not put my username to my real name...

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 1:16 pm
I'm the first amother. As the speech therapist said, don't worry, it's treatable and everything will be fine. Yes, the point of tubes is to allow fluid that's behind the eardrum to drain. If your ENT recommends it then go for it. It's a very minor surgery (the actual procedure takes about 7 min.) and it can work wonders.

RY

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:14 pm
I know what tubes r. my 2 yr old has them and thats fro fluid thta the dr can c. this is a 6 yr old and they only sort of felt the fluid with a machine (the pediatrician and ent) couldnt c it. she mentioned putting in tubes if claritin doesnt help. is it the same thing?

RY

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:18 pm
sorry if im not making sense. ive done the whole lots of ear infection and then tubes. but this sounds different. thats y im so scared.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:22 pm
from what your describing, yes, it sounds like the same thing. The machine just measures how sound bounces off of the eardrum, thats all.

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:30 pm
its the same but with an older child.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 3:05 pm
First amother. Yes, it's the same thing. Fluid behind the eardrum is normal; sometimes they can see the fluid and sometimes they can't. The machine is called a tympanogram, and as another poster said, it measures the movement of the eardrum in relation to sounds. If the eardrum doesn't move much it indicates fluid.
Again, medication or tubes should take care of it.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 9:00 pm
Most kids experience this at some point in childhood, the key is to make sure it doesn't last for to long, and it sounds like you are taking care of it. Make sure the doctor monitors it to see if the fluid keeps coming back, in which case, they might suggest tubes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics