Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infections- when should we consider tubes?

SS6099

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:09 pm
How many ear infections are considered out of hand and when should we consider the tubes option? DS is 13 months and had already 6.
Thanks.

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 2:10 pm
Well, get him off dairy and give mucalit and antihistimine and you might not need it ever.

21young

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 3:12 pm
I would do it sooner rather than later. My DS had non-stop infections, literally. We were part of the 10% of people for whom tubes didn't work, but we did it a 2nd time, and it's been magical. Not one infection.
The procedure is no big deal and it works wonders.

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 4:09 pm
Sometimes ear infections = because of a dairy allergy. Sometimes they are because of overly inflamed, large adenoids. Kids are more prone to ear infections in the winter (b/c of cold/flu season). If you've had 6 infections over the summer, I'd personally be more worried than if you had 6 ear infections over a winter.

It NEVER EVER hurts to speak with your pediatrician. You should NEVER EVER feel like there is an aspect of your child's health that you cannot discuss with his pediatrician.

On a more personal note: DD had her first tubes placed when she was 9 months. Ear infections decreased in frequency (and severity) but a year and a half later the tubes fell out and the infections started right back up again. DD continued having ear infections until her adenoids were also removed.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 6:18 pm
Totally depends.
My first son had tubes put in but ironically he didn't have many ear infections at all. He just had lots of fluid all the time. Every time we were at the pediatrician, it was always mentioned--oh, he has no infection but full of fluid pushing on his eardrums. He didn't make a sound until he was 22 months old and was struggling in many aspects of his development.

My second son had 6 ear infections between the age of 5 and 14 months but did not have tubes put in. Took him to the ENT--and at the time, his ears were clear. He had a lot of ear infections but never long-lasting fluid. They'd clear up right away. After that, they've decreased in frequency. He's had maybe 2 ear infections since he was 18 months old (he is now almost 4.) We had no concerns with his general development and he was a happy kid, not really uncomfortable like his brother had been.

And for the person who posted that "it's no big deal" of a procedure--true, it's quick and no recovery time, kid can be in school the next day....but a general anesthetic is required--so for many parents, it is a big deal. Please remember that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics