Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Spelling chaya in hebrew

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 7:21 pm
how would you spell chaya in hebrew? would you spell it ches yud hey or would you not write yud and hey together. im trying to figure out how to write my daughters name...and im embarrassed that I actually don't know yet how im gonna spell it embarrassed Dont know

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 7:25 pm
ches yud hey - that's the way it is spelled and I learned that it is totally permissible to write it out.

b from nj

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 7:30 pm
Shuly wrote:
ches yud hey - that's the way it is spelled and I learned that it is totally permissible to write it out.

Chaya is one of my names & when I was attending BY as a kid, some ppl. did put a line/dash between the yud & the hey to separate the Hashem's name.

mommy27

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:24 pm
Some people will do that to any name that contains the spelling of Hashem's name. However, I also learned that it's completely OK (from a halacha teacher in a BY school) to spell it out without dashes etc. I remember he brought as a humorous point the name Eliyahu and how there wouldn't really be a name left otherwise. My sister-in-law who has boys did say that she was told to be careful with names on yarmulkas though, since they may be brought into the bathroom where shem Hashem doesn't belong- including a kid named Sholom, since that's also one of His names.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:55 pm
I knew a man who worked with a Mrs. Shmueli and a Mrs. Tzuriel. He called them Mrs. Shmu and Mrs. Tzuri and refused to use the final syllables. I thought that was carrying things a bit far. Then again, he probably drank ginger kale, too.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 3:33 pm
חי-ה Cheers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names