Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Please help me right away I have a meeting in 45 minutes!

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:36 pm
My boss just came to the door of my office, started flapping her arms and freaking out saying "omg, it smells like fish in here! eeewww, fish!! omg omg omg" Like a 12 year old girl. (I ate a can of tuna at my desk as I have done every day for the last couple of months) She made a disgusted face, plugged her nose and covered her face with the envelope she had in her hand. Then she ran to my desk, and I said "well don't come in here if it's so disgusting to you". She said "well I have to give this to you and it's confidential". She threw the envelope at me and then ran out with her arms flailing.

I am appalled at her behaviour. This is an EXTREMELY professional environment - high level government officials, not a small family business. I have a meeting with her in 45 minutes and I can't look at her!!! Please advise asap!

TIA

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:42 pm
My old boss fired someone for microwaving fish at work once. As much as her behavior was off the wall, it isn't acceptable in many places of work to eat food with strong odors.

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:45 pm
http://www.businessweek.com/ar.....-desk

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:47 pm
Extremely unprofessional, never mind downright rude.

But I can tell you one thing, I work in an office with many people around, and when someone eats something very smelly, we are extremely disgusted by the smell.

The smell just lingers for an hour!

I guess strong smelling food in the workplace isn't professional either!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:48 pm
If she doesn't mention it to you, just drop it for now. Speaking as someone with a difficult boss.

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:54 pm
Go to the meeting and act as if nothing happened.

Switch your lunch menu. I have worked at several offices that had a no-fish rule for just this reason. The smell lingers.

Sorry you had to deal with this. Your boss should have handled it differently.

cm

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:57 pm
Yes, her behavior was unprofessional, but she does have a point.

Perhaps too late for today's meeting - but be sure to brush your teeth and wash thoroughly after eating tuna for lunch, especially if you are going to be face-to-face with anyone.

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 12:57 pm
Thank you all so much. I have calmed down considerably and actually didn't really think about the fact that maybe it could be considerd unprofessional to eat tuna!! Not too sure what to bring for lunch now. No microwave and I'm on a very strict version of Atkins. All suggestiuons are welcome!

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:07 pm
Chicken salad is low smell and low carb. You can wrap it up in lettuce leaves.

Omelettes with cheese are okay cold (IMO at least).

I hope the meeting goes okay.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:09 pm
Op, just a thought, can you go outside and eat your tuna? Is there somewhere outdoors where you can have lunch?

shoeboxgirly

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:10 pm
Is there any chance she's expecting?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:17 pm
Chunks of hard cheese on slices of firm tomatoes. Grilled chicken breast, not garlicky though. Sliced turkey breast in lettuce wrap. Cold soups. Eat with whatever veggies are allowed.

marshmellow

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:23 pm
ugh I'm sorry about that. She embarrassed someone in public which is one of the worst things a person can do. Maybe go to a different place to eat the tuna, or pack something else, it is best not to eat smelly food in a non home/restaurant setting, but don't let what happened upset you. she's just very rude and immature.

oatmealcookies

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:23 pm
I ate chicken a lot when I was on atkins before my wedding. Chicken, cucumbers, lettuce and for a treat I would have some almonds. Idk you or your boss, but sometimes one of my bosses gives me attitude or whatever I dont let it get to me. If someone fires you because you ate tuna, then I smell a law suit, just saying(no pun intended).

cm

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 1:27 pm
I'm not sure exactly what is permitted on Atkins, but here are some high-protein choices:

cottage cheese
ricotta cheese
(personally I love either one with salsa)

hard boiled eggs

tofu (firm, stir fried with seasonings; whether you like it cold is a matter of taste)

I'm not a meat-eater, but cold meats, poultry, etc could be served sliced or in a salad

chunks or slices of low-fat hard cheese

nuts, seeds

Is there too much carb for you in Chobani-type yogurt? It's so filling.

Hope this helps!

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 2:37 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI I had the meeting and she apologized and explained that she thought everyone knew that although she's not allergic, she gets very nauseous from the smell of fish. I still don't think she realized how incredibly rude her behaviour was, but I can live with that, she's pretty generally clueless about certain things. She said salmon doesn't really bother her, so I guess I can bring that!

CPenzias

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 9:04 pm
She sounds strange...why is she waiting till now to say something? You said you've been bringing tuna for months!

Also, since when does a boss dictate what you can and can't eat? That is just messed up imo.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 10:56 pm
Maybe she was trying to be nice but she had finally HAD IT.

This is not the crime of the century but 1) she IS your boss, and that means something, and 2) no, people should not eat anything that smells at all at their desk. Or even at work at all, even in the employee lounge or kitchen. Sorry. Not done. You were in the wrong. Yes, she may be expecting.

Food smells kill the theater of the situation, and make the office feel like home, and it is not home. Smell is the most powerful sense. It is impossible to consider a business matter with a strong smell around, even if it is not unpleasant. Just the way it is. No onions. Scent-free hand lotion. No nailpolish put on at the office. Or not much. Or in the ladies' room only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics