Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Camera repair -- is it worth it anymore?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 12:57 pm
We live in a disposable society... as much as I feel guilty and spoiled and hear my teachers' mussar schmussen in my head, I really feel like most things, even (or especially?) electronics, are no longer worth it to repair and should just be junked and replaced.

Details:

I have a Nikon s4000 that my sister gave me a few months ago because she never used it. It's probably about 2 years old, and I've had a pretty decent time with it -- I chase my toddler around and take a LOT of pictures.

I just started getting "lens error" messages when I start up the camera and the lens telescopes out, and then it shuts itself off.

I'll wait a few days to see if it works itself out, but I'm already going through camera withdrawal symptoms.

For a camera that's probably worth $90-$120 (probably closer to $150 when my sister bought it), is it even worth it to try and get it fixed? I have no idea even where I'd go for something like that... most camera repair places are probably for expensive cameras, and would charge a TON. I don't even know if this COULD be fixed.

Also, I don't know if my sister got a warranty for it, but it's probably expired. But if it was under say, a 5-year warranty, would I just ship it back to Nikon, or do I need all sorts of paperwork?

Tongue Out Such a hassle. They really make you just want to give up and buy a new one, don't they?

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 1:38 pm
I have that issue with my camera now, it costed $500 and will cost $130 to repair through the company. B"H I have an extended warranty, I had to fill out a form online, enclose lots of paperwork and box it up and send it in. I didn't do it yet but will have to do it tonight went through camera withdrawal in the first 5 minutes and borrowed a cheap camera from my sisters just so I don't miss out on the kids stuff.

you can call up Nikon and ask if they will do a one time courtesy repair

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 2:22 pm
I always get the extended warranty and never had any paperwork problems, I registered the product right when I bought it so the company has it on record. Without a warranty it probably doesn't pay to fix most problems with a $100-200 camera - you could ask for an estimate though. A more professional/expensive camera probably does pay to fix.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 2:37 pm
Most cameras - No. Unless they are a better model.
I've also given up on buying warranty plans on cameras. My last camera I bought a warranty and registered it. But when it broke they wanted to charge me 3/4 of the price of the camera to fix (I tried fighting it with everyone - the warranty company, the store, and the company - but no one would listen to me). Being that the camera was $100 and to fix it would be 75 - and I had it almost a year I just replaced it.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 8:19 pm
Unfortunately, probably not. The labor costs alone can come to more than the camera cost new.

Go to the company website for warrantee information. If still under warrantee, you'd probably need proof of date of purchase IOW a receipt of some sort. You would not have had to have registered it with the mfr. for the warrantee to be good, but few warrantees are for more than a year.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 22 2012, 8:24 pm
Try new batteries.

Some other ideas:

http://camerarepair.blogspot.c......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics