Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Awesome no-cook baked ziti
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You're eating all that starch. It's not healthy.

This makes no sense. Why is the starch that comes off the pasta in cooking any more unhealthy than the starch the pasta is made of? It's not like daring pasta that's been boiled makes pasta any healthier or lowere cal. You want healthier? Use whole grain pasta....whether its boiled or not....

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:30 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We always rinse our pasta. Always.

It's minhag, not Halacha. And certainly not any concept in cooking that makes any sense.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:32 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
It's "quick" to eat dirt but no one does it. It's "quick" to fry foods or eat out but how much of that stuff can you do, healthfully?

I'm just stating a fact, in case no one knew about it before. Rinsing the starch away is much more healtful.

No. You are stating shtus.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:33 pm
mazeltov wrote:
what if it's rinsed but not cooked before baking?

would that solve the starch problem?

I'm just wondering if that's an alternative.

I'm asking the poster that said it needs to be rinsed or cooked? to remove the unhealthy starch?

could rinsing just mean holding it under running water?

There is no starch problem. It's bubba meisse

bamamama

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 4:37 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
We always rinse our pasta. Always.

It's minhag, not Halacha. And certainly not any concept in cooking that makes any sense.

If you leave the pasta a little wet after cooking (with its cooking liquid) it helps thicken whatever you're putting on it (cream, butter and cheese, for example). Nerd

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:21 pm
I'm bumping this up because I make this most yomim tovim when we have dairy for lunch. We love it.
(And I will quote-in my words- the cookbook called 'the kitchen survival guide'. "the pasta already had a bath, why do you think it needs a shower too?" (no need to rinse starch off pasta)

mrlv

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:04 am
Hi this recipe looks delicious. What size sauce does it need? And do you mix the cheese in our leave it all on top? Thanks

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:46 am
mrlv wrote:
Hi this recipe looks delicious. What size sauce does it need? And do you mix the cheese in our leave it all on top? Thanks

26 oz jar. Cheese works either way. It's the type of thing that works if eaten fresh.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
26 oz jar. Cheese works either way. It's the type of thing that works if eaten fresh.

I just made it this week. Prepped it Sunday evening. Baked it Monday after work for dinner. Had some today for lunch. Still yummy.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals