Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO girls sleepaway camp recommendations
Previous  1  2

TzipporahN

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:13 pm
OK, so could you give me some examples of the differences between Ma'arava and the other Agudah camps?

TzipporahN

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:17 pm
Oh, and where do Bnos and Bais Ya'akov fall in the spectrum of Ma'arava and the other Agudah camps?

Aetrsnrady

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:48 pm
From what you are saying, I don't think Dina or Shoshanim are for you. I think the haskafic differences between Chaviva/Bnos/Bais Yaakov are very subtle. I wouldn't say any are cliquey, per se, but, camps with a large number of New Yorkers are probably going to feel less friendly to an OOTer.
Is there anyone in your neighborhood or your dd's school that has sent to any of these camps that have been mentioned? They may be able to give you insight for your particular situation

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:56 pm
I don't think Ma'arava is as right wing as it used to be. Agudah Midwest has more girls with boy chatter and phones and technology than Ma'arava, but there are many mainstream yeshivish type girls without it being "too yeshivish." My daughter has had amazing time at Ma'arava and we are middle=of-the road BY. My husband works, my daughter reads approved secular literature (not that it's allowed at camp), dresses by BY standards and said the girls at Ma'arava were mostly like her. It's not very cliquey, and the camp grounds themselves are very nice.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 12:04 am
I'm the amother from above, forgot to give specific examples, and realized I wasn't clear that it was Midwest that has the "more modern type" girls with boy discussion and lots of technology. Difference in girls is that you'll get more girls in short socks under long skirts who all have cell phones and texting at home at Midwest than you would at Ma'arava. But like everywhere, there's a range. Having been on the grounds at both camps, I think Ma'arava feels more "camp like" b/c it's secluded out in the middle of nowhere. Midwest is attached to a bungalo colony and is off a main type road. That said, the girls I know that go to each are all very happy and always talk about the wonderful summer they had. If you want to give more specifics about your daughter, I might be able to tell you where she would "fit in" better. Girls from the BY in Chicago are split among the two camps, with some also going out east to Sternberg and Malka (and I'm sure other camps as well). there have been a few girls over the last two summers going someplace in Michigan, but I don't remember the name.

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 2:55 pm
Thank you all so much for your help!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 1:21 pm
Where does Shira (upstate NY) fit in? Is it in the Bnos/Bais Yaakov/Chaviva category?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children