Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift to sent to an engagement party.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 01 2012, 7:23 pm
My friend is having an engagement party next week, which unfortunately I cannot go to. I want to send something to show I'm thinking about her. Anyone have any ideas of an inexpensive, appropriate something I can send. The party is taking place in Brooklyn.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Nov 01 2012, 8:55 pm
A cute cookbook?

Do you want something for her or something for the engagement?
If they are having a party planner, try get a hold of the number and give her a certain amount towards cakes/miniatures and she will put a name near that item.
Or send flowers, chocolate arrangement.

Other ideas are a kitchen set (towel, oven mitt, oven glove)
kitchen set 2 (blue, red, green/yellow towel with corresponding sponges)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 01 2012, 11:03 pm
Thanks Chocolate Chips, I do not think they are having a party planner, but I wonder how that would fly, to order a really nice cake or custom cookies.
I want something that she can put out by the party (only she has to know its from me, but I think it feels good to be reminded during the party that a friend is thinking about you.)
Can be a nicely wrapped gift, but as I said, I don't have tons to spend. (I'm going to still have to buy shower gift and give a wedding gift)

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:59 am
How about a giant greeting card that can be put on the table? You can make one yourself from oaktag, which should cost much less than a commercial card. There's no obligation to give an engagement gift as well as a wedding gift, especially since you're planning to give a shower gift.

My only question is, how is this going to get to the party if you're not going?

amother

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 8:50 am
Zaq, I want to send something specifically because I cannot make it into Brooklyn this week. I don't want something like a card. We've been friends since infants. She's waited along time for this moment and I want her to know how much it means to me. The wedding/shower gifts are a whole different thing.

elmos

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:31 pm
personally some type of gift cookbook small set maybe someone local can buy and warap and deliv. for you if not many stores do it rather than cookies or cake which will be gone rt away what is your price range it might help

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:41 pm
Custom cookies with her and the groom's initials or a big bouquet of flowers would be nice. Different places will make things like cupcakes that say mazel tov or even just a chocolate platter, is just a nice gesture. A place like Oh Nuts (locations in BP and Flatbush) will probably deliver.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:49 pm
For the same price that you can buy custom printed cookies which will be gone by the end of the night and taste pretty gross anyway, you could buy her a lasting gift, which I'm sure she would appreciate more.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 4:12 am
Unless she has a list with cooking stuff, buy something for HER Very Happy

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 5:12 am
my friend had someone send a candy assortment in a beautiful bowl (from a candy shop). she then got to keep the bowl. I know someone else who bakes cookies & puts them on a nice platter, which the kalla gets to keep.

p.s. you should ask a Rav (or dh?) about serving on non-toiveled dishes

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
My friend is having an engagement party next week, which unfortunately I cannot go to. I want to send something to show I'm thinking about her. Anyone have any ideas of an inexpensive, appropriate something I can send. The party is taking place in Brooklyn.

Mazel tov to your friend.

If you want something to be used at the party, I would suggest calling her mother or a local friend to make sure that whatever you send is in harmony with the general theme and tenor of the party.

Otherwise, send something small that she can use at the party, that will make her feel that you're with her. What about a gift certificate for a mani-pedi, or one of those 10 minute chair massages they do in nail salons, that she can use before the party.

Henya

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 1:10 pm
Once, I couldn`t make it to a good friend`s L`chaim. I bought her a cookbook & wrote a note inside of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics