Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Low sodium/ no sodium recpies

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 11:14 am
does anyone have any to share? I'm new to this

SS6099

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 1:03 pm
I'm low-sodium. Basically, I replace a lot of the salt needed with spices. Makes the food taste yum and once you get used to using less salt, you won't even miss it.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 1:36 pm
I guess I am low sodium? I try and moderate as much as I can but am nowhere near perfect. I have found that most processed foods have tons of sodium, bottled sauces especially. When I buy things like BBQ sauce or pasta sauce I try and only have a small amount. I cook with very little salt and tons of spices and dried and fresh herbs. I don't really miss it. I went off gefilte fish for a while because it was making my hands swollen. I went back to making it but I try to only eat a small piece and keep the rest of the meal low-salt.

I was getting swollen hands and feet most of the summer and DH suggested that it was salt since it was happening mostly on shabbos when I made gefilte fish, used bottled BBQ sauce in cholent amongst other things. Now I am more careful and I don't have the symptoms anymore.

yamz

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 3:43 pm
I have some experience with low sodium cooking. If you can use sugar, try sweet and sour recipes (homemade, of course) using some type of vinegar and honey/sugar as the primary flavoring agents. Honey-mustard works well too. The sweet and tangy flavor is strong enough that you won't miss the salt. Another idea is to use additional lemon juice (fresh) and/or black pepper to add a boost of flavor to your food. You can also seek out lower sodium substitutes for prepared foods. Canned fish, vegetables and tomato sauce are all availabe without added salt, while the standard varieties can be quite high in sodium.

Mostly, this is like anything else: there is an adjustment period, but after a while, your palate will adjust, and as others have said, you won't miss the salt. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking