Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The BUZZ preggle advertisement this week

withhumor

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 7:34 pm
I am really bothered by this and I ’m wondering if I’m the only one. All the chassidisha newspapers take pride that they do not have any ads that have a .com, email address or web address or even any reference to the internet at all. I was quite disgusted that they had full page ads (all of them!) this week featuring a sale at the Buzz coming next week. It said PREGGLE (such as frying your latkes for Chanukkah) and the words preggle was designed to look exactly like the Google logo.

Why am I so offended? I believe they are rationalizing that everyone knows what Google is, therefore it will catch the eye of the readers. To me it’s as offensive as putting a picture of a naked man wrapped in a tallis, to advertise a tallis manufacturer. Figuring everyone will pause and say, HUH? It will catch the eye of the readers. This is so gross!

Or maybe I’m just going overboard…

carrot

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 8:01 pm
I think comparing Google to a naked man as a sales tactic is going overboard.

withhumor

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 8:04 pm
Okay, um. Then how about a pregnant teddy bear to advertise maternity, because they don’t use pictures of women in any newspaper ads?

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 10:12 pm
At first glance, I thought it said "PREGGIE" embarrassed

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 12:54 am
Preggle means FRY - its a yiddish word.

I was taken aback for a second - it sounded like preggie too Smile.

The google thing totally escaped me,a nd I'm an internetaddict. I didnt think that way at all. Most people wont get it.

withhumor

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:58 am
If most people won’t ‘get it’ then why use it at all? I mean nobody is going to ‘get’ a reference to a Hollywood movie then why use it in an ad? Because 80% will get it! It’s despicable.

mendels mommy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 9:08 am
but withhumor, you got it so maybe others will too, and they may have a diff. reaction?

withhumor

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 9:12 am
That’s why I started this post. Before I fly off my handle and freak out completely, I wanted to hear what others have to say. Don’t forget this discussion is only for people that read these chassidisha papers (or their husbands).

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 11:03 am
I saw it too. it was a weird one and I had to read it twice but I didn't chap the google part... call me slow.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 11:27 am
I saw it and didn't get the google part, either

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 11:37 am
I think your comparison is definitely making a mountain out of nothing.

I'm especially surprised that you find such an innocuous thing so distastesful, especially considering that you are obviously getting hana'ah out of the world wide web.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 1:38 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 9:39 pm
I saw it & knew it had to mean SOMETHING because they always think hard into their ads. DH noticed it was like google. Neither of us knew what preggle means, thanks for explaining mindy.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 11:37 pm
I saw it. My first thought was also preggie.
Although I am very familiar with the internet and Google, I did not notice this at all.
Interestingly enough, all newspapers are worked on using the internet. I worked for one. They use the internet all day long. I'm sure that the ppl who accepted the ad would recognize the Google logo. But they probably didn't notice the similarity. And if they don't know the logo, halevai.

queen

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 9:05 pm
NY2434 wrote:
At first glance, I thought it said "PREGGIE" embarrassed

so did I!!!

Not quite sure what's bending you so out of shape..... was it that they listed a web address????? Personally, you're taking it too far. (you DID ask for our opinion) Very Happy

withhumor

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 10:06 pm
Okay, here’s the real issue. For years they wouldn’t accept my ads because it would need a .com or anything with an @ in it or it wouldn’t be worth advertising. I’ve tried every possible twist to get myself in there, and I’m talking about quite a few newspapers and magazines too.

To make a long story short, I also know that these papers require you to email or upload the ad to their website which is a double standard here. After raising my tolerance with the assumption that “nobody gets it but me” (re: Preggle), I am still bothered by this ‘abuse of power’ by the heavy players in advertising; by the highest bidder such as the Buzz who advertises consistently and at any price.

And finally, if most of you thought Preggie, shouldn’t somebody in the office have picked up on that? Are they so blinded by the $1,350 that the Buzz has paid for that ad? I’m stumped.

queen

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:07 pm
I submit ads for my clients to the Yated/Hamodia and was never asked to have it uploaded for review first.... and never given a problem either.

interesting.

Only thing I can pin it on is the nature of your business that they wanted to review your ad first. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics