Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Broken dishes= ayin hara?

Yael

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 2:36 pm
has anyone ever heard of a connection between dishes breaking in your house meaning that someone is jealous of you, or has an ayin hara on you?

in the past week and a half I've had 4 dishes break on me. usually from just a small tap, and shatter!
and to top it all off one of our fish died too, and our fish have been living well without any deaths for quite a while now.

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 3:16 pm
Yael conc dishes I have heard one say, mazel tov this too should be a kapora!
Conc the fish um don't know, if it's unsettling to you maybe check you mezuzos????

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 3:36 pm
???mezuzos- for fish????
now that made me laugh Very Happy Very Happy

Rivka

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 3:40 pm
I have not heard about breaking dishes meaning anything, as a joke they say mazel tov coz you break a glass under the chupah. I have had a zillion cups break on me, I am just glad I didn't buy any of them as we got them all as presents. Glass breaks...and fish die, maybe your son was putting extra treats for fishies.

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 3:50 pm
RG LOL LOL had to concoct something ..... it does seem to bother her!

supermom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 4:37 pm
yael I think it is the time for fish to die because I had four fish died on me this week and I hadn't had a fish die on me in months so it just must be the season. Exploding anger depressing because they were my best fish really nice ones so my conclusion is it is just the season. Very Happy

Motek

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 5:12 pm
yael: what do you mean by "tap"?

I have two sets of Corelle. One set - the cups have fallen and nothing has happened to them. The other set - the cups all broke, handles broke off, pieces chipped off. Don't know why the difference when both are from the same company, unless, like lots of things these days, they make things cheaper than they used to, and the set with the broken cups was a newer model (at the time I bought it yrs. ago) than the other set.

Ozmom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 5:17 pm
Yael as a fellow lubavitcher ....

Our Rebbe wasn't be'ad focusing on ayin hora

My Rov just told me a short while ago that his mother once went to the Rebbe and was worried about an ayin hora
The Rebbe told her "I don't believe in Ayin Hora but seeing as you do then you should do...such and such"
So basically if you believe in ayin hora then its a problem.
So just try not to believe in it. Turn it around to a good thing. When I break or lose something I always tell myself its a kaporah and a good thing something so small happened versus something big.
Maybe its trying to tell you something, that you have to work on improving in a certain way.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil like stop burning hubbys food and serve him a bigger slice of fish on shabbos Twisted Evil Twisted Evil LOL

Rivka

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 7:07 pm
Ozmom. I also heard that about ayin horas, they only affect you if you believe in them, so my motto is don't believe in them coz they are like old wives tales. Some people frown at me and can't believe me, but it's better than stressing out all the time because you are sure someone looked at you funny and made you drop that chocolate you were looking forward to eating....hmmm chocolate.
Here is a story my late mother in law got worried coz every friday night one candle would always be extinguished soon after they were lit.
So they went to the Rav and the Rav told them to watch their toddler the next week. So they did and they found the toddler was climbing up near to the candles, he would sing "happy birthday to me" and then blow out the nearest candle.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 9:33 pm
I actually say that I dont beleive in ayin hara, but I'm not sure if I mean it.
I mean everyone around me believes in it, so its like pounded into my head. but I really dont believe its true. I was just curious if anyone had ever heard of this connection before.
and no it doesnt bother me that the fish died! its only a fish! Rolling Eyes
true that it is one of our first fish that we got. but still... Rolling Eyes
I have another 13 at least and many more have died before this one, just not recently.

only one of the dishes that broke was corelle, and it was a serving dish. the kind you can bake chicken in, with a cover. its really annoying now b/c I only have 1 other big dish and now I have to put the leftovers somewhere, and wash it out all the time to reuse. and it doesnt have a cover.
but nevermind I've gotten off topic.

bye. Wink

Rivka

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 9:41 pm
Yael buy another one.
I have corelle and they break easily.

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 12:59 am
So how r u'r fish doing now Yael Tongue Out
I too love corelle but nothing is built to last Wink .

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 7:43 am
Yael,

after having my fish tank professionally cleaned, I had 18 fish die within 2 1/2 weeks. I have one fish left Sad I got so frustrated I wanna sell my tank. Fish usually die, one at a time. The only time you have to worry, is when they start dying in groups.

mumof1

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 7:45 am
I have never heard of dishes breaking as a ayin hara.
but I did hear of anything smashing as a sign that there will be a mazal tov Smile

brooklyn

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 7:56 am
So why do the two mothers break a plate after the tanoim are read before the chuppa. Seems like marriages are doomed to failure if it is a sign of ayim hara.
Twisted Evil LOL Twisted Evil LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 9:14 am
Since I moved I have broken a LOT of things...I didn't connect it with ayin horah but you know how I am about our new apt and not telling ppl.....

Yael, I'll ask around and get back to this thread, okay?

de_goldy

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 11:43 am
Tefila - whats with bringing up all the threads from last year, 2 years ago???

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 6:37 pm
It's time to rejeuvenate and give them a face lift Smile since u won't do it then I have to. Why not What

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 8:29 pm
It doesn't hurt the post count either, eh?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics