Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Recipe for soft chocolate chip mandel bread

brooklynmom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 6:15 pm
does anyone have a good easy recipe for soft chocolate chip mandel bread?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 11:43 am
Mandelbroit by definition is hard.

brooklynmom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 3:17 pm
ya but you can find soft baked ones in the store

lamplighter

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 5:29 pm
its not exactly the same but the CC sticks recipe in the kosher pallete is perfect. I make the logs into loaves and it looks almost the same. Does that work?

jsmith

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 5:41 pm
this is my first time posting here just got so exited someone else makes mandel bread my husband can eat it day or night
I got it from my mother in law a"h here goes......1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2 cups flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp vanilla sugar,1/2 cup choc chip.....mix all ingredients its best mixed by hand, pour into a tin sometimes I sprinkle with sugar bake for 40min till golden brown (what my ma in law used to do was double the recipie and subsitute 1 cup of flour to brown flour and the other to 1 cup oats just a little bit healthier)hope its ok Wink

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 5:42 pm
When I bake them for the second time, I don't bake as long as the recipes say to. Then they are nice and soft. E/o loves them this way.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 7:04 pm
Can I substitute craisins for chocolate chips for the mandel bread?

I had mandel breat with craisins and it was so good!

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 02 2011, 10:54 pm
Mommy F. wrote:
Can I substitute craisins for chocolate chips for the mandel bread?

I had mandel breat with craisins and it was so good!

Sure u can. There is also a recipe in one of the kosher pallette/kosher by design cookbooks for a mandel bread recipe made with craisins and pistachio nuts.

suzyq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:38 pm
I know this is a super old thread, but can someone post the CC sticks recipe from Kosher Pallette that lamplighter mentions?

pinkflower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 9:52 pm
Choc Chip Sticks from Kosher palette is similar to this one: http://kosherista.com/node/1472

etky

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 1:01 am
pinkflower wrote:
Choc Chip Sticks from Kosher palette is similar to this one: http://kosherista.com/node/1472

I just checked the Kosherista recipe against the Kosher Palette - they're identical except in the amount of sugar. KP calls for 1/2 c. brown and 1/2 c. white.
I use the KP recipe all the time. I double it and bake it in a really large pan (like the size of the entire oven) and cut them into squares. I think they're not as soft that way (as opposed to baking them as sticks) but they're nice and chewy. My kids love them.
BTW I was going to get on my soapbox and preach about the mandelbrot (I'm a purist) needing to be hard before I realized it was an old thread and that's not why you wanted the recipe - 'cause these bars/sticks are great but they sure 'aint mandelbrot!
For other mandelbrot minimalists like me, I would recommend Sara Finkel's recipe in "Classic Kosher Cooking". I'd be happy to post it if anyone is interested.

suzyq

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 9:20 am
Thank you!!!

c899

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 5:41 pm
I saw this thread and got in the mood to make them. I made the kosherista one with 1/4c oil and 1/4c applesauce instead of 1/2 c oil and it came out delicious!!!

pinkflower

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 6:21 pm
With applesauce sounds really good! Can you post that in the comments of Kosherista so others can use that idea?

sky

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 6:47 pm
I make this all the time to give away because they are so pretty and easy and taste amazing. You can skip the bowl and just mix it in a bag and its just as good.

mix:
½ c sugar
½ c firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Add
1 1/2 cup flour until course crumbs

Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil. I Find 6 Tbsp is perfect.

Mix in 1/2 cup choc chips

To form biscotti bake in one long log down the middle of a baking sheet for 20 minutes. It will be soft. Let cool. slice into sticks.

For a fancier version (I send this to kidushim a lot - its perfect for last minute). Bake 18 minutes. Sprinkle with choc chips down the middle. Return to oven for no more then 2 minutes. Immediately spread the chocolate chips as a strip down the middle. Sprinkle with topping like crushed nuts, caramel or white chips, etc. Let chocolate harden completely and cut into strips.

(You can also bake as cookies for 9 - 10 minutes. Or bake in an 8x8 square pan for 20 minutes)

They are amazing. It just doesn't make too much.

This week I mixed in a home made pumpkin spice mix and it was amazing.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 8:12 pm
soft is oxymoronic to mandlebread

Quote:
Mandelbrodt, Mandelbrot, Mandelbroit [1] [2], or anglicized to Mandelbread, is a dessert associated with Eastern European Jews. The Yiddish word mandelbrodt literally means almond bread. It is made by forming dough into a loaf, baking it, slicing the loaf into oblong cookies and baking again. The crunchy, dry cookies were popular in Eastern Europe among rabbis, merchants and other itinerant Jews as a staple dessert that kept well.[3]

Its precise origin is unknown, as is its historic relationship with "biscotti" – an Italian term that means 'twice baked'. Mandelbrodt and biscotti are both crispy, but mandelbrodt is more substantial.

Each baker has his own variation; common additions include walnuts, cinnamon, chocolate chips or bits of fruit. Mandelbrodt is called kamishbrot in Ukraine. In the United States, the two terms are often used interchangeably.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics