Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Looking for Pediatrician in Flatbush

outoftowngirl

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 11:32 am
I'm looking to switch pediatricians as I just don't feel that the one I'm using at the moment is for me, I've brought up concerns about one of my kids and was just told no its fine he's growing, gaining weight and there's no problem. The Dr. I'm using is really nice, I feel he's great for just the regular things like ear infections, strep etc, but when it comes to bigger things I haven't been overly impressed with him. I'm looking for some recommendations of really good doctors in Flatbush, not looking for an alarmist but would like someone to take my concerns seriously, not over medicate my children, have a good side manner and have friendly office staff. Am I asking for too much??!! LOL Oh, and I'd rather not have to sit waiting for the doctor for hours but realize that's probably unrealistic if I want a really good Dr. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:06 pm
robert antar
718 339 2111

shev143

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:22 pm
dr bet Yaakov

outoftowngirl

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:16 pm
Mummiedearist, can you tell me a bit about Dr. Antar, where is he located? What are his hours like? What happens if you have a medical issue after hours? What do you like about this Dr?
Thanks for the recommendation Mummiedearest and shev143!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:21 pm
Stuart Ditchek

MimiMommy

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:25 pm
Dr abberbock

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 8:55 pm
outoftowngirl wrote:
Mummiedearist, can you tell me a bit about Dr. Antar, where is he located? What are his hours like? What happens if you have a medical issue after hours? What do you like about this Dr?
Thanks for the recommendation Mummiedearest and shev143!

I've known him since I was a baby, so I know him well. he's on ave r between e 13th and 14th. he recently changed hours, so I believe he now has three days a week from 1-7, one from 10-2? 3? and friday hours till early-ish afternoon (I don't go on fridays if I can help it, so I'm not sure...) and sundays till 12, I think. you can call the number listed for his office hours, there's a recording on his answering machine. if you have a medical issue after hours, you call his answering machine. he checks his messages, so he gets back to you within a reasonable amount of time. he used to have an answering service, but I don't think there's a difference in response time between then and now. he has called me back at 3:00 in the am and was very pleasant about it.

as for what I like about him, he listens to the parent, allows that the parent may not share all his views, and is generally respectful about that. he visits sick patients in maimonides, which is comforting (I've had a kid in the hospital, he was very reassuring, visited every morning we were there) and he shows up at the hospital to examine newborns and has conversations with the new mom about what difficulties she may face and how to handle them. when my first was born, he visited me the next morning and told me that I would soon face a barrage of advice, and that I should follow my gut because mom knows best. he also told me to tell my younger cousins (who he also knows) that he's to blame for them not being allowed to hold the baby. Smile if you bring one kid in for an appointment and have another sick kid in tow, he'll examine the second kid happily. if you bring in multiple kids with strep, he'll offer to do a culture on mom too, just in case. his receptionists are very friendly, they often watch babies while moms look for parking (I walk there, parking is not fun, though there is a parking garage a few blocks away if you want to pay). one of the receptionists is trained to take blood, so you don't have to take your kids to a lab for whatever blood tests may be necessary. I should probably also mention that he's very good with the kids themselves. my kids get very excited when they go to see him, and they tell him every little detail of things that have nothing to do with him, jump all over the exam rooms, clown around, go hyper, etc, and he manages to laugh with them while getting them to let him examine them.

now, there is definitely a long wait on most days I go, but there may be times that are less crazy. I'm not sure how the new set of hours will affect this, but I imagine the 1:00 slots when he's open until 7 will be much quicker. and there are some things he and I don't agree on (flu and chicken pox shots, for example), but though he is happy to tell me that he feels I should give these things, he's not obnoxious about the fact that I don't. he's not heavily into natural parenting, but he's not against it.

oh, he also specializes in cardiology, but afaik, that amounts to evaluating exam results. he doesn't have any of that equipment at his office.

bwaybabe85

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 10:19 pm
I also recommend Dr. Antar. Like mummiedearest, I've known him since I was a baby. He was my doctor from birth until I turned 21. He's a really, really nice man and a competent doctor.

fashioncrazy123

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 10:30 pm
hey I am looking for one also but very hard to find some one good so I will be looking out for name also,so if any one has a good doctor let us konw .thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics