Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eczema--advice and suggestions please

gazingblue

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:14 pm
My dd (2 1/2) has had eczema since she was born. I have tried so many different things and am still searching for a way to help her. I read (I think all) posts about this topic. However, in response to all the posts: I've done allergy testing. It is not always accurate, as most doctors will admit. I can tell you that my dd did not test positive to dairy and yet whenever she has dairy, she has a reaction. So, she no longer has dairy. I believe she also reacts to soy, so no soy milk, etc.

I use very gentle baby washes, I.e. aquaphor, mustella (I forget exactly which one). She generally reacts to the aveeno wash, but I do put the aveeno oatmeal in her bath.

As for moisturizing, most creams hurt her flare-ups and make her cry (including the hydrocortizone cream, I know it's not a moisturizer but I try to use it for flare-ups); creams I have tried: aveeno, eucerin calming, cerave, ok I can't remember more; the only cream that doesn't make her cry is the aquaphor, but it also doesn't help her.

Wipes: Pampers Sensitive wipes

Laundry: I only use All free & clear, extra rinse cycle, no fabric softeners.

Sorry for the long post, but I tried to include as much information as possible so I don't get a whole bunch of responses of things I have already tried. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do to help clear up and prevent future flare-ups? It itches her so badly and I truly feel so sorry for her. TIA

bamamama

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:25 pm
http://www.solveeczema.com/

this website is by a mom who got rid of her ds' eczema by going detergent free. We have done the same and it solved my ds6's eczema. I now make my own soap (not detergent!) and have noticed even a huge difference in my own skin. Read her website. It has been a miracle solution for some.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:30 pm
Moisturize with Vaseline. Fragrance free everything.

Have you true testing with kinesiology? You might get more accurately info.

chevron

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:37 pm
I use Renew cream from melaleluca or Amazon. Really amazing cream.
You can try cutting out processed food because most have soy in them. soy oil .

amother

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:37 pm
I was in your place not long ago. I went to someone who practices kinesthiology combined with homeopathy. Bh we have so far seen amazing results. I'm hopeful and hoping for continued success. The whole thing looked like a hoax but hey, if it works, it works. But, it was expensive, it requires tremendous amount of work, effort, and willpower to keep to the diet we were given. So far, totally worth it!

Esther23

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:16 am
Listen to Malky Taubers lectures on health and nutrition on akeres habayis hotline. She has helped many people heal eczema and allergies & more through nutrition, supplements. 718-506-9057 opt. 6.

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:20 am
There are different types of allergies and food intolerances. A scratch test/blood test can only test for (I think, but I could have this backwards) IGE mediated histamine reactions.

There are also IGA reactions. There are also things like anti-TTG (anti tissue transglutaminase) reactions. Those do NOT show up on a scratch test or a blood test.

Lastly, allergy tests under age 4 can be iffy. Sometimes the clinical manifestations show up while the blood work lags behind.

DD #2 had a battery of allergy scratch tests. She did not react. Then she had some cheese (at the allergist! I did NOT try this at home). Within minutes there were hives on her tummy.

Another thought: if she's reacting to Aveeno could she have a gluten intolerance? (A different) DD and I have Celiac Disease and Aveeno does AWFUL things to our skin. It burns and causes eczema flares.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 1:25 am
My son 3 month old has Eczema and with the oatmeal bath, cerave cream, baby oil, 100% cotton clothing, dreft detergent and no eggs he is doing a lot better. The only thing I can think of is eggs - Maybe try that!

Good Luck!!
Remember sometimes eczema comes for no apparent reason!

chani8

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 6:48 am
bamamama wrote:
http://www.solveeczema.com/

this website is by a mom who got rid of her ds' eczema by going detergent free. We have done the same and it solved my ds6's eczema. I now make my own soap (not detergent!) and have noticed even a huge difference in my own skin. Read her website. It has been a miracle solution for some.

Wow, thanks for the link. I seem to have a sensitivity to laundry detergent and thought I was imagining it, esp since we would rinse my clothes like 4 times. Now I understand why rinsing just isn't enough. Thank you bamamama!

shnitzel

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 11:51 am
If her eczema is flaring now it could be a reaction to the cold and dryness of winter.

Have you seen a dermatologist?

Severe eczema often can't be fully controlled by avoiding "triggers". People who have eczema have skin that has difficulty holding in moisture. Controlling a flare through prescription steroid that only needs to be used for a very short time versus a lot of suffering and risking infection and using to much over the counter low dose steroid can work miracles. Once a flare is completely under control it is so much easier to keep the skin from flaring again. Avoid soap completely except for very dirty parts like feet, and underarms or if she is covered in food, even gentle soap is very drying. If her diaper area is really affected I would also wonder about a latex allergy.

Keeping a very strict diet doesn't end up being realistic for most people after toddlerhood, and most kids eczema will go away or improve at some point as they get older.

gazingblue

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 1:00 pm
OP here--thanks for all the responses.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 1:25 pm
shnitzel wrote:
If her eczema is flaring now it could be a reaction to the cold and dryness of winter.

Oh I noticed when I go out it gets worse, is there anything I can do about that?

shnitzel

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 3:45 pm
wereafamily wrote:
shnitzel wrote:

Oh I noticed when I go out it gets worse, is there anything I can do about that?

You can try a humidifier at home to help with the dryness from heating but other than moisturizing obsessively the only thing to do is move somewhere with a humid climate. Getting the flare under control with some of the strong stuff can really make it manageable with regular moisturizers like eucerin or aquaphor, anything thick and creamy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics