Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
For those who vaccinate

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 11:53 pm
Do you give the flu shot or not? why or why not?

bamamama

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 12:01 am
No. We homeschool (I.e. the kids aren't out with a gazillion other kids all day). Also, historically, none of us really get the flu and even when we get it, it's done in a day or two. Seems silly to mess with that kind of immunity. I do know about cytokine storms, though, and that they can bring down healthy people so I do try to stay aware of what kinds of influenza are active in our area.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 1:30 am
bamamama wrote:
No. We homeschool (I.e. the kids aren't out with a gazillion other kids all day). Also, historically, none of us really get the flu and even when we get it, it's done in a day or two. Seems silly to mess with that kind of immunity. I do know about cytokine storms, though, and that they can bring down healthy people so I do try to stay aware of what kinds of influenza are active in our area.

have you seen the flu maps, bama? big numbers in five large southern US--texas, louisiana among them--and barely december.

Rodent

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 1:39 am
No I don't. The older 2 got it when swine flu was around the first time but not since. I may consider it for the 2 year old who is asthmatic next year to try and prevent any issues getting worse.

ElTam

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 2:13 am
Yes. I've had both regular flu and swine flu (the two years I didn't vaccinate). I would not wish that on my children or myself. Particularly with small children, flu can be very dangerous. It doesn't take long for a little one to get dehydrated and it doesn't take much to clog their lungs and airways.

I've had a baby in the hospital with RSV and a toddler in for dehydration from a stomach bug with vomiting. If I can avoid that kind of trauma for them, I will.

bamamama

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 2:49 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
bamamama wrote:

have you seen the flu maps, bama? big numbers in five large southern US--texas, louisiana among them--and barely december.

That's it. Let 'em secede and cancel all flights to the west coast.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 4:21 am
I did a flu shot this year for the first time with my son because my ped told me that a side affect of the flu would be dangerous for him, specifically. she is very into the flu shot, but she knows better than to tell me to do it with my other kids, cuz I prob wont, but my baby I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics