Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Frozen chicken left out over night

Chippies

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:58 am
I feel kind of silly posting this because I think the answer is obvious, but since my husband disagrees, we decided to open up the discussion here. I took chicken out of the freezer last night and put it onto the counter at around 9pm. I asked my husband to put it into the fridge before going to bed (he was going to be up for longer than I was) and he forgot. At 7am this morning, we saw it out on the counter. My husband used to work at a butcher shop and said that if meat/chicken goes bad, it has an obvious bad smell. Well, the chicken doesn't smell bad at all. It looks and smells totally normal. I still feel like it's poisonous but he thinks it's fine. Other opinions?

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:07 am
The current wisdom is not to defrost on the counter overnight.

However, it used to be that "everyone" did it that way, and I can't recall anyone getting sick from it. So if the chicken was still quite cold, and you're going to cook it thoroughly, its likely to be OK.

brocha1

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:16 am
hi I did that thursday night friday morning I cooked bh all okay I would not do it on a hot night

yksraya

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:20 am
It's usually not a problem. And yes spoiled chicken has a horrible smell which you can't miss.

Chippies

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:26 am
Ok, thank you everyone! I'll cook it well and hope for the best!

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:34 pm
that's how I defrost things ... overnight

so far I'm still alive to tell the tale

mother of boyz

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:38 pm
I ALWAYS defrost my chicken overnight !

aussiemum#1

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:09 am
I agree, if your kitchen wasn't hot then it should be fine, it takes a while to defrost anyways.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 6:19 pm
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 6:21 pm
Old thread I hope she threw out the chicken by now.

esther09

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 8:47 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 10:11 pm
esther09 wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

Defrost it in the refrigerator.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey