Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher goat?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 5:16 am
The conversation of which animals are kosher came up again at work this morning, as my colleagues are teaming up to order goat curry/goat jerk for lunch. Come to think of it, I've seen and tasted kosher venison, I've heard of kosher bison but have never seen or heard of anyone actually selling kosher goat. Is it done in our days? I'm just curious.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 5:21 am
Of course goat is kosher. The Torah is filled with descriptions of our avot tending flocks of sheep and goats. Goat milk and goat yogurt is available in many kosher organic stores.

I have eaten goat meat before. I expected it to taste like lamb, but it doesn't at all. I guess it's more like beef. A little more gamey, though.

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 5:55 am
Some people keep goats in my neighborhood. These same people would never have a pet dog because dogs are not kosher animals.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 6:26 am
I've eaten goat cheese (yum) but I'm talking specifically about goat meat. Is that something I can find in Israeli restaurants or butchershop? Who gives hechsher?

londoner

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 6:41 am
Ask Menahems to source it for you. I'm not saying it'll be cheap but they'll enjoy the challenge. Smile I know they got a goose for someone else on request a while ago.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 6:43 am
Bisra

gp2.0

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 7:47 am
I've also been wondering for a while why it's not readily available in Jewish stores. I see goat shipments going to Arabic meat stores here. (They shlep in whole dead goats.) Maybe because there's more meat on sheep and cows so it makes more sense to bother with them? Goats are thin.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 7:51 am
I doubt there is a much of a demand. I love lamb but can't imagine eating goat.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 7:59 am
If you do manage to find any, in the land of boring meat cuts, let us know. I would totally be up for trying to make it into something yummy.

nylon

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:57 am
I would think it's cultural--most Western European and American Jews aren't from goat-eating cultures and don't think of goats as being raised for meat. (Although kid is eaten in southern Italy and Greece.)

Given that it can be tricky to even get veal in the UK I'd be surprised if any of the abbatoirs were doing kosher goat. I don't suppose there's any demand for it in France? I remember that Panzers (I used to go there for American products) imported some unusual kosher things from Strasbourg, though I never ordered from them.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 12:04 pm
YUM! Never seen it here in southern ontario but would LOVE to find it!

smilethere

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 4:57 am
Never heard of it, but talk to your butcher.

It's definitely kosher because we eat goat's cheese and goat's milk.

I'd be terrified to taste it though. I've been so brave and tasted lamb already Very Happy (and fell in love with it, shame it's an expensive habit)

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 5:06 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I've also been wondering for a while why it's not readily available in Jewish stores. I see goat shipments going to Arabic meat stores here. (They shlep in whole dead goats.) Maybe because there's more meat on sheep and cows so it makes more sense to bother with them? Goats are thin.

lambs don't have a lot of meat either. I ordered a whole lamb for pesach once (half the lamb since the back is not used for kosher) and it was about 3-4 roasts and a couple of dozen chops.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 5:24 am
Try Bisra. They ship.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 5:26 am
My husband is a shochet, and he says that he doesn't know of anyone in the US who is doing goats. A friend of mine used to keep pygmy goats in her yard to control the blackberry weeds, and I always threatened her that DH would come over "for a visit"!
If we move to Postville, we are definitely going to have to get some goat for ourselves, even if the plant doesn't want to process it. I haven't had a decent goat chop or goat curry in 10 years.

I'm really happy that Kohn's is offering buffalo now. When Solomon Brothers went out of business I was SO sad! Buffalo makes the best cholent, EVER.

Rodent

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 5:54 am
They will get it here by special request only. My husband brought some home when he was working at the butchery once. Smaller processing here may mean more personalised service and willingness to source uncommon requests though no chance of bison here (I did have in NY though)

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 9:25 am
Hey cool. The next time we're in the States, bli neder I'll order some from Bisra and share with UK imamothers who are interested. Maybe we'll do jerk goat and goat curry tasting session!
Alternatively I guess I need to speak with DH's colleague who's into shechita.

Raisin, the amount of meat on lamb really depends on the cut. I like using lamb cutlets and shoulder which has more meat than lambchops. Though they're tougher so you'll need to braise it for loooong time. Obviously you need to trim visible fat, but I first sear the surface (where some fat drains), decant gravy after cooked and skim off fat so my end product comes out surprisingly lean.

smilethere, you can get frozen lambchops at Kosher Outlet. Also a little goes a long way. I think British lamb is really top-notch quality, my friends and family from US agree on this.

nylon, it's actually very easy to find veal in most kosher butchers. Though I think what we get is "pink/rose" veal, less pale compared to the French version. It's definitely the most expensive meat, esp if you want solid piece like shoulder carre.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 10:05 am
I don't think our veal is "real" veal. It makes sense that it isn't so white because the process of making veal is basically torturing a calf. Don't think it's allowed halachically which is why we have pink veal. Just baby cow without the torturing. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just something I've always assumed.

nylon

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 10:33 am
No, what we get in the US is the same as the treif butchers (cuts aside)--there's a lot of politics around veal in the UK and now they are promoting the rose veal there, no extended formula feeding and no cages. Here they do extended formula feeding (IIRC) so they can get the calves to marketable size without putting them to pasture. I do think at least one posek said veal was problematic to eat but I can't remember who.

I remember having a hard time finding it when I lived there (2004-2008). Maybe I never found the right butcher. Though I've heard it's also had an uptick since I left as chefs have been promoting veal, now that they don't ship the calves to France/Netherlands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen