Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Nonkosher Cookbooks Worth Owning
Previous  1  2

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 10:40 pm
Betty Crocker Cookbook. It's a classic. I love love love love love that cookbook.

Stephanie O'dea's Make It Fast Cook it Slow. DH loves her Korean Rib recipe. I make the marinade/sauce for brisket, chuck roast, etc. Other faves: her mustard roast is incredible, her peanut butter chocolate crockpot cake is excellent for a friday night, and her crockpot rice recipe is a life saver.

From my gluten free cookbooks, Bette Hagman was a revolutionist. I prefer the books she wrote towards the end of her life (after science recognized that millet wasn't deadly.) Carol Fenster's big gluten free book is also excellent.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 2:33 am
I like Delia Smith's 'How to Cook' series

bamamama

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 3:01 am
Joy of Cooking by Rombauer is a classic
The Best Recipes in the World by Mark Bittman
Everyday Indian by Bal Arneson
Anything River Cottage
Anything Jamie Oliver
Ina Garten
Moosewood
The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart

I don't own all of these but have copied down recipes and have been heavily influenced by them.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:11 am
spring13 wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
I get so many free recipes that I haven't bought cookbooks in a long time. when I did, they actually were jewish ones.

it's true that I hit allrecipes.com or google a lot when I want to find a recipe for a certain item or using a certain ingredient. but flipping through cookbooks is fun, I have Harry Potter one and a Little House one that are enjoyable to read as well as cook from. And it's easier to get random inspiration from a book than a website.

I have also become an Allrecipes junkie. But I do love reading cookbooks just for fun and general information. I also have a Harry Potter cookbook which has some really good recipes but as it's been translated into Hebrew, it's all kosher. I imagine the original also has non-kosher recipes.
Pink Fridge - I also have a very very old copy of the Settlement Cookbook, from the turn of the 20th century. It is all yellowed and brittle so I try not to handle it too much, but it is so interesting seeing what they cooked back then and what implements they used, what they considered nourishing and appropriate to serve etc.

Karnash

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:32 am
For those in Israel - there are great cookbooks in Ivrit which use the products and produce available here and as an added bonus, most are kosher - you just have to understand Hebrew!

r_ch

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 7:02 am
They are certainly worth having, they inspire and give ideas, starting from 101 soups and ending with desserts of all kinds. And I search of lot of recipes and videos of them online on a whim. Let's say I badly wanted to learn to make my own strudel and I did thanks to non-Jewish guidance.

estyn_ny

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 7:14 am
The Greens Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Greens-C.....02587

Love this for veggie stuff

sky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 9:30 am
The Joy of cooking.

willow

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 12:13 pm
I don't own a cookbook. I go on line and it is all available from moosewood to Gordon Ramsey
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics