Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Eldest Diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes (type 1)

Tila

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:33 am
I am new at this. Scared for my son. I have a friend who has two boys with it. She does blood readings on shabbat, and they have the sugar drink (non kosher). The things my husband will shun. I am scared and nervous. My eldest 16. We live in Canada and the sugar drinks are hard to find kosher.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 6:37 am
Find a local Rabbi who is competent in juvenile diabetes.

I don't know much about it to know how critical those items are, but I do remember my grandfather checking his blood levels on Shabbos.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 7:17 am
It's very important that you go on websites and become very informed about your child's condition.

I know a rav whose wife has diabetes and is very careful about taking care of herself. Would you like me to ask if you can email or call him?

As far as the sugar drink, there may be other (kosher) sugary things your son can drink or eat when he needs a large dose of sugar quickly. Research alternatives. It's important to take kashrus seriously, but guarding one's life takes precedence in halacha. The same goes for keeping Shabbos.

Your husband should know that. Maybe what he needs to learn is how serious diabetes is. He should not wait to see an ambulance team drive up on Shabbos to try and revive a child in a diabetic coma because he didn't get enough quick sugar when his insulin ended up to be too much for the sugar in his body. I've seen that, and it's really scary and dangerous.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 7:19 am
In addition to Imamother, there is a Yahoo group called special frum moms, where you may be able to get advice.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 8:25 am
Hugs. So sorry. Please join a support group for diabetes.
When I had gestational I also had to test on Shabbos, that's just what has to be done. I also became a member of a diabetes association. They sent out newsletters & I could get supplies for free. I saw that they had a lot of support & education for people in your situation.
Oh & find a Rov knowledgable in medical Halacha.

markmywords

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 10:15 am
If you make an appointment with a rabbi, I think you should speak to him together.
Your husband will probably respond differently if he is able to discuss his concerns directly with a rav that he trusts and he is given clear information about what is ok for your son.
Are the kosher drinks available in the U.S.?
Perhaps it can be shipped.
I think right now the two of you need to be on the same page. Dealing with his objections will only compound the stress you are weathering learning to deal with your son's condition.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 10:17 am
My husband tests on Shabbos and all Yom Tovim. He drinks orange juice and has kosher sugar tablets which he carries around. He is also not supposed to fast, but he does anyway. My husband knows how to regulate his insulin to adjust before hand if he is going to indulge. This knowledge came after a major scare. I can tell before him though if his blood sugar is getting low. The symptoms are subtle. He maybe is not as sharp as he usually is, or he is a bit irritated unlike his usual easy going self.

minnie mouse

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 10:44 am
Please contact Rabbi Meisels. He has a wealth of info on juvenile diabetes and has the organization Friends with Diabetes Phone: (845) 352-7532
Fax: (845) 573-9276
Email: webmaster@friendswithdiabetes.org.

lovely1

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 11:03 am
minnie mouse wrote:
Please contact Rabbi Meisels. He has a wealth of info on juvenile diabetes and has the organization Friends with Diabetes Phone: (845) 352-7532
Fax: (845) 573-9276
Email: webmaster@friendswithdiabetes.org.
yes, Rabbi Meisels, that's all you need. He has all the information out there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics