Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do most people get less or more materialistic as they age .?

Have most people you know become less, more or not changed their level of materialism as they aged?
Less materialistic  
 41%  [ 7 ]
More materialistic  
 29%  [ 5 ]
No change  
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:02 am
Do people generally, get less or more materialistic as they age, or do they stay the same? Is there a difference among men and women? Frum and not frum?

Why? Opinions, please.

imaamy

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:15 am
I think generally less so with age, but then again people may have more money as they get older/more established. Kids are grown so more disposable income as long as they are still working, or they are able to reap the benefits of their retirement savings. Myself, I think I am getting more so with age. There are a lot of things I want and partially from the neighborhood I live in. It does seem younger people have a lot more than generations past did at their age.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:02 am
I woudl think more....things are as easy, as you age.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:13 am
Totally depends on the person...

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:38 am
Our materialism is widespread through all age groups, but we need less as we age. As we get further and further from the horrors of the Holocaust, we lose appreciation of our blessings- the benefits of the peacefulness and beauty of a simple Yiddishe life w/o fear of having to give our lives for Yiddishkeit. Too many frum people of all ages are extensively showy and materialistic, especially in certain communities.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:40 am
less materialistic - just cause you realize that these stupid things - whether I have them or not - cannot change your life - been around the block - know where I am spiritually - we die in the end anyway w/or w/o materialistic stuff - so what counts everything else

LisaS

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 1:20 pm
I think that most people stay the same unless there is some major change in one's life. Whether one has the means or not is a separate issue, but here the question is whether a person appreciates materialism or not.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 1:31 pm
Unfortunately in some communities we are, to some degree, forced to be materialistic to do Shidduchim. People in certain communities brazenly ask- Do they have money? Do they have a summer home? Where did they make their previous Simchas? Do they help their children generously? Do they furnish their homes well and drive new cars?
Are they bargain hunters (seen as a disadvantage by many)?Are they CLASSY? And on and on, sometimes focusing more on these kind of issues rather than Midos. I am familiar, as I am involved in Shidduchim in my community.

suomynona

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:11 pm
There are no rules. It depends on which people they surround themselves with. I've seen both ways.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:34 pm
With my mother, I can see more. Since we've all grown up she's redone the main part of the house, started buying a lot more clothes, shoes, stuff in general.

slush

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 7:06 pm
momof3 - same here, my mom is much more into doing things in the house although I think it's also a means thing, she is working now so is probably doing better my dad however still is perfecly happy not to spend anything on the house!
my grandparents though haven't changed, they are still completely unmaterialistic!
I think the older you get the less materialistic you are.
You realise that you can't take anything with when you go so as long as you are physically comfortable it doesn't matter if the carpet is 40yrs old!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics