Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career Fair

madys

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 12:07 pm
My daughter's high school is having a career fair for 10th - 12th grades. I am an accountant and volunteered to be a part of the fair.

I have never presented or participated in a career fair, and just wanted to know what is usually expected, and what the usual format is.

I will speak with the organizer, but I just wanted to hear from others that have been a part of this experience.

Thanks in advance.

Madys

madys

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 9:40 am
bump

bananasplit

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 10:05 am
I think you just describe your job, why you decided on this career, how do you balance your home, job and kids and what its like to be frum at work (if your office is non jewish). Good luck!

cm

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 10:12 am
Will you have a chance to give a presentation? If so, how long? Or are you going to stand by a table or booth while kids mill around in the gym and ask questions?

madys

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 11:51 am
Thanks - I just e-mailed the organizer to get a clearer picture of the format

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 7:42 pm
I guess it would depend on the format (central podium with a slide presentation, or individual stalls), but the topics to be covered won't be too different. Something to give some thoughts:
- why you decided to be an accountant
- what it takes to be an accountant (CPA exams, courses to be taken at college, what skills are important)
- career development and choices (different tracks, auditing vs tax, private vs public)
- your typical day
- what you love about the job, and what you find challenging

madys

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 3:33 pm
This is what I received from the school....

"You will be in a career room… There will be 15 rooms and the girls will be able to choose three that they want to go to…
There will be one other person ( most probably, maybe two) and you will have 15 minutes per session ( there are three sessions) to speak to the girls. Each of you should speak for about 3-4 minutes and then open it up to questions….tell them what you do, \what kind of education you need, how you came to work where you do, the challenges, the pluses and minuses etc ( I imagine you cannot speak about all of the in 3-4 minutes…just some suggestions)"

shouldn't be too much to prepare.. sounds like fun

Thanks for all your comments
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics