Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Chris tmas, Chinese food and Jews Outside the USA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 1:28 am
Barbara wrote:

In any case, movies and Chinese food have apparently been replaced by gambling. A friend who was in Atlantic City over Chris tmas told me that you never saw so many kippot (large black velvet and knitted) in your life.

This is so not true. Ladies, please don't believe this or repeat it.

The resturants, were no less accessible than during sukkot. They were also serving non-jews or non-frum people. (One resturant has non-jew customers often.) Also one day there was only one resturant open.

I saw exactly one hemishe couple there in my hotel. I did not see any other yarmulkes outside of the resturants. I did not see any on the boardwalk or in any stores in other hotels I walked to. I did not see any other frum ladies in the spa. One yarmulke in three days is not so many. I spoke to one Israeli family who go every year. She was in pants without her hair covered and he did not wear a yarmulke. Neither of them gamble.

There are less people in AC then on any other day which is why I like to go. The less people make the Jews stand out more. I believe there were more Jews there than usual, but there was no crowds of yarmulkes.

BTW everytime I go I see a handful of frum yidden outside the resturants.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 1:49 am
My mom and grandma used to go to Atlantic City on xmas day. They said it was full of frum (and not-frum) Jews and Chinese people! Many restaurants served Chinese food that day -- to attract both crowds. There were even a large selection of glatt Chinese foods available just for that day.

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 2:11 am
DrMom wrote:
My mom and grandma used to go to Atlantic City on xmas day. They said it was full of frum (and not-frum) Jews and Chinese people! Many restaurants served Chinese food that day -- to attract both crowds. There were even a large selection of glatt Chinese foods available just for that day.

The facts that were presented was that gambling has taken over Chinese food and you "never saw so many kippot in your life." There just was not crowds of identifiable frum people there.

There is no glatt Chinese food available in resturants on xmas or any other day in AC. How many years ago are you talking about?

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 2:29 am
Squishy wrote:
DrMom wrote:

The facts that were presented was that gambling has taken over Chinese food and you "never saw so many kippot in your life." There just was not crowds of identifiable frum people there.

There is no glatt Chinese food available in resturants on xmas or any other day in AC. How many years ago are you talking about?

It was something that was set up just for that day, to cater to the large crowds.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 8:15 am
DrMom wrote:
mommy2 wrote:
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/6037/jewish/Hayom-Yom-Tevet-17.htm
http://www.crownheights.info/I.....49254

See now I think THIS is nuts. To stop studying Torah davka because some xians are celebrating a holiday?

This is far more disturbing than Chinese+movie. Chinese+movie is: We have the day off because people around us have a religious holiday today. Let's ignore them and have our own fun. Forbidding Torah study on xmas seems like an unhealthy preoccupation with the xtian world. You want to study Torah? Why stop because some xtians are opening presents around a conifer?

Should Jews from Arab countries stop studying Torah during the month of Ramadan?

I don't get this either. It's not my mesorah. Or maybe it generations back on the chassidish side, I don't know. But I won't bash it.
Dr. Mom, it's a good thing our families at least kept learning, to keep the world going, right? Tongue Out

mommy2

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 9:32 am
Thank yøu pinkfridge for not bashing a custom done by tzaddikim.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 9:36 am
acccdac wrote:
I DID NOT read all 6 pages of posts, just the first 8 posts.

I came into this thread because I was listening to the news on my drive home from work and the announcer said "and president bush celebrated x-mas with his family, (then specified which son) and even had their chinese dinner"

it made it sound like its a real "custom" to eat chinese on chistmas but the bush family is religious, and not jewish.

so what was with that?
President Bush? What year are we talking about?

acccdac

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 9:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
acccdac wrote:

I came into this thread because I was listening to the news on my drive home from work and the announcer said "and president bush celebrated x-mas with his family, (then specified which son) and even had their chinese dinner"

it made it sound like its a real "custom" to eat chinese on chistmas but the bush family is religious, and not jewish.

so what was with that?

right now, george HW bush, the father, is in the hospital now with a bad bad case of bronchitis.

Barbara

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 9:53 am
Squishy wrote:
Barbara wrote:

In any case, movies and Chinese food have apparently been replaced by gambling. A friend who was in Atlantic City over Chris tmas told me that you never saw so many kippot (large black velvet and knitted) in your life.

The resturants, were no less accessible than during sukkot. They were also serving non-jews or non-frum people. (One resturant has non-jew customers often.) Also one day there was only one resturant open.

I saw exactly one hemishe couple there in my hotel. I did not see any other yarmulkes outside of the resturants. I did not see any on the boardwalk or in any stores in other hotels I walked to. I did not see any other frum ladies in the spa. One yarmulke in three days is not so many. I spoke to one Israeli family who go every year. She was in pants without her hair covered and he did not wear a yarmulke. Neither of them gamble.

There are less people in AC then on any other day which is why I like to go. The less people make the Jews stand out more. I believe there were more Jews there than usual, but there was no crowds of yarmulkes.

So you're calling me a liar?

Just lovely.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 10:52 am
acccdac wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
acccdac wrote:

so what was with that?

right now, george HW bush, the father, is in the hospital now with a bad bad case of bronchitis.
I knew it was HW (Dubya doesn't have sons Smile) I was just curious about the use of the title President. That's all Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 10:53 am
Barbara wrote:
Squishy wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Just lovely.
You're taking this too personally.
She was saying her first hand experience was vastly different than the second hand testimony you offered (otherwise known as hearsay)/

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 6:26 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Squishy wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Just lovely.
You're taking this too personally.
She was saying her first hand experience was vastly different than the second hand testimony you offered (otherwise known as hearsay)/

I asked DH about the dovening. He said there twice as many men as during Sukkot which is 50 instead of 25. There are a few orthodox shuls. So there were increased men dovening. Not all these men wear yarmulkes full time outside of dovening. As I started though I did not see the increase in yarmulkes, nor did I see an increase in frum women. I shopped daily in a 40 store mall which was open on xmas. I went to a health club daily and a spa twice. I also walked on the Boardwalk daily and went to other hotels. Except for the resturants, I did not see any increase in frum people.

I do want to say that I think AC would be a good destination on xmas because it is business as usual in that town. The rooms are not expensive over xmas and there are things to do even if you don't gamble. I particularly love just being about to walk the boardwalk.

PinkandYellow

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 9:01 pm
Just received ahumorous email, I'm just posting here the relevant portion.

'THINGS I DIDN'T LEARN IN HEBREW SCHOOL
4.          According to Jewish dietary law, pork and shellfish may be eaten only in Chinese restaurants.'
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics