Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Russian Bananas

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 2:02 pm
I just made these tonight and they are delicious.l

Fingerling potatoes
olive oil
sea salt
herbs

Preheat oven to 450.

Cut diagonally into one inch pieces. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle sea salt and herbs. Bake 40 minutes until the skin starts to wrinkle.

Serve with more sea salt and herbs.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 3:05 pm
Love the title "Russian Bananas" which in fact has nothing to do with actual fruits!

Definitely sounds far superior to the famous British concoction, alternative bananas during WW II rationing period (technically parsnip cooked in sugared water with yellow food colouring and banana essence added).

Come to think of it, people in carribean cook plantains/cooking banans like potatoes into chips and crisps...

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 3:16 pm
I do similar, but I keep the potatoes whole if they are smaller fingerlings. It's also great tossed with fresh crushed garlic before roasting. Yummy!

Sherri

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 3:43 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I do similar, but I keep the potatoes whole if they are smaller fingerlings. It's also great tossed with fresh crushed garlic before roasting. Yummy!
I like this garlic idea. Can you be specific about the steps?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 4:07 pm
Sure Smile

Preheat oven to 400f. Scrub fingerling potatoes clean, and dry. If they're very small, you can keep them whole, otherwise slice in half or thirds.

Crush fresh garlic- I would estimate 3-5 medium cloves for a 1 lb bag of potatoes. Toss potatoes with olive oil to coat, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, and parsley.

Line jellyroll pan with parchment paper and spread potatoes in single layer. Bake until crispy outside and soft inside (fork should easily slide through largest potato). Add more kosher salt if needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes