Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cancun or aruba

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 1:57 pm
Thinking of going for a wk with dh,, which place is nicer? Which one do I have more option on food? And what entertainment do these places have?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 11:49 am
I was waiting to see the answers you're getting. I also wanna go to one of theses places.
Does anybody have any info?

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 11:52 am
No question Aruba.

LALA2

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 12:05 pm
I want to go as well...does anyone know of any kosher resorts in any of these exotic places?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 12:51 pm
I'm pretty sure that there is absolutely nothing as far as Kosher food is concernced.
Whoever I knoe that went to Cancun shlepped along tuna cans.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:36 pm
I think upscale hotels can arrange prepackaged kosher meals. You'll need to speak with the general manager and the restaurant/catering manager. But it's definitely safer to bring challah rolls (most breadrolls that come with kosher meals are mezonot) and small bottles of wine/grape juice. I've never been to Cancun so no can't comment. Aruba has an additional advantage you can island hop to Bonnaire and Curacao. Check if there's a miniyan in either places.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:50 pm
If you are coming from the east coast, Aruba is the same time zone and a shorter flight. As for cancun this might be interesting. http://www.koshercancun.mx/

abcd123

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:51 pm
We have been to both. Unless you are there on a kosher caterers trip, there is no kosher food besides a few things in groceries/walmart, like milk, chips, chocolate, cookies, maybe canned tuna, fruits and veggies of course. We always brought along food from a caterer double wrapped for dinners. Just check with your hotel beforehand that they are willing to warm for you. or another option which we have done as well is to bring a plug in warming tray/plata.also, if you bring packaged meals make sure they do not label them with names of food like chicken, meat...they will confiscate it at the airport in mexico. I had them label it with the # of the selection from their menu so only we would know whats inside. they will ask you when you go through customs if you have food. say yes. if you say no they will take it all away.however, tell them it is pasta, rice, potatoes. that stuff they allow. no beef or chicken. they took our packaged cold cuts like pastrami and turkey which we were going to have shabbos lunch. you can bring bread/rolls, pb and j, tuna cans, no cheese unless u hide it well. Cancun is definetely cheaper flight/hotel/tourist attractions/activities. any other questions, feel free...

abcd123

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:53 pm
oh yea, I was going to say you can contact chabad in cancun (they were in US when we were there bc the wife was due to give birth) but they do have shabbos meals if u stay at a hotel nearby

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:15 pm
abcd123 wrote:
Cancun is definetely cheaper flight/hotel/tourist attractions/activities.

I agree. IMO because Cancun is cheaper you have less refined people. I have been to both a couple of times.

The Arubians are lovely. In Aruba aside from the short plane rides, there is plenty to do on the island. There have been other threads abbot this before.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:23 pm
I too have been to both and both are great but different. Cancan is a party city, lots of young people. Aruba is families and coupled mostly. Both have beautiful beaches and no kosher that I'm aware of, but Cozumel Mexico isn't far from cancun and has a kosher restaurant that is Delish. Both have great beaches but cancun is cheaper and louder. I had a great time at both!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 11:49 pm
How far is Aruba from ny? What hotel would u recommend?

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 10:40 am
Not to flip you out but there have been many incidents of violent attacks of tourists in various vacation cities in Mexico. The government is in turmoil, the country is overun by drug lords and poverty is rampant.
Be advised IF you travel to ANY touristy cicy in Mexico do NOT venture far from the hotel/resort. I strongly suggest asking for a guide with a car if you go into town.

Call me carzy but I would check with the US government travel advisory.

Now, my BFF is NOT jewish and she goes to Cancun every year with her extended family for a week--a large group of 10 -15 people. They stay exclusively at the resort, all meals, cocktails, and activities are taken care of and then they go directly back to the airport.

Please check everything out before you finalize your travel plans

loveamerica

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 12:06 am
I know it's late, but might help others.
Aruba by far, yes Chabad is there and have kosher food to buy from them but more expensive. Loved it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics