Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Non-soggy string beans

pabambi

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:15 pm
any recipes/ ideas how to make string beans for friday night where they don't get soggy..when I saute them in oil(like I usually do) they are soggy by the time we sit down for our meal. (plus this week I am making them to send to someone who just had a baby)
tia

sky

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:26 pm
You can try baking them. I spray a baking sheet with pam. Lay out green beans (drizzle with honey, garlic powder, sometimes soy sauce) spray again and bake at 400 for 8 - 10 minutes. I find it easier then making a pot dirty and harder to mess up.
You can also dice in red pepper before baking.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:32 pm
I like them cooked in water . undercooked a little by a minute or so.

cm

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 8:33 pm
Serve them cold! Cook them any way you like until bright green, then chill. Serve with vinaigrette or your sauce of choice. I prefer cold veggies on Shabbat because they get so dark and unpalatable when held hot for so long.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 9:05 pm
Cut the ends off, put in a pot and cover with water. Put the pot on to boil. As SOON as the water boils, trip the green beans into a collander and run cold water over them. Serve plain or make a dressing which you add right before serving.

momaholic

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 9:34 pm
I boil them in water and leave it 2-3 minutes once it boils this way they still have a crunch. drain the water then add some soy sauce, garlic, sesame seed or slivered almonds.

db815

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 9:43 pm
Everyone always asks me this- why their string beans are soggy and dull, not bright and crunchy...trick is to steam them...clean them and cut the stems, put in a pot with just a litttttle water, like an inch or two. I add some salt. Cover. Then it will quickly boil, when it does, shut the fire and leave on the cover so it steams- not too long, just a couple min. Thats all!
Or you can also microwave them.

Savta012

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 9:44 pm
I put them in a zip lock bag with some water and salt and microwave them for just 2 min. Then drain them right away and put some sesame oil, soy, honey and toasted almonds in zip loc bag and marinate. NO pots to wash and you store leftovers very easily.

spring13

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 10:02 pm
They don't need to be served hot to taste good, and putting them on the blech often results in that sogginess. I agree with people who say to steam or boil very briefly, and get them out as soon as they're bright green. Then you can add flavorings or dressing - and leave them to be at room temp for eating.

elmos

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 12:50 am
sky can I use frozen whole green beans for your recipe/method

curiousgeorge1

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 1:49 am
I've been asked many times how my green beans stay so crunchy. I blanch them every friday afternoon (throw them into a pot of boiling water and drain after 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending how crunchy you like them). Then I stick them in a ziploc bag or container and throw on either sauce from a bottle (mikees sesame teriyaki is a good one but I use others too) or a sauce I cook separately. If you want to serve them warm then heat the sauce alone close to shabbos.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 8:15 am
As others suggested, I top and tail 'em, boil till soft but tender. My tip is to add a bit of salt to the boiling water (cooks faster and drains out any bitterness), and to run cold water immediately after tipping cooked beans to a colander to keep them nice green and avoid overcooking.

As for serving/dressing, you can sautee finely chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil and salt till garlic turns light brown (be careful they burn quickly) and toss them right before serving. Or just a bit of olive oil, pre-ground pepper and toasted almond flake or sieved hard boiled egg. Another dressing is oriental style, equal part plain (unseasoned) tehini, lukewarm water and soy sauce. Again dress just before serving.

Any leftover, you can use it to add to nicoise salad.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 3:03 pm
elmos wrote:
sky can I use frozen whole green beans for your recipe/method

I use frozen green beans when I'm not in the mood of cleaning them and they come out great.
I originally got the idea from this site and have seen various versions of it in other places (including Fresh and Easy).

pabambi

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 11:49 am
anyone have a good sauce for the string beans? (exact recipe)

sky

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 1:04 pm
pabambi wrote:
anyone have a good sauce for the string beans? (exact recipe)

sweet and sticky

cook 3 lbs green beans until not mushy (about 6 minutes and rinse)

3 cloves crushed garlic
2 T. oil
1 bunch scallions (optional)
1 red pepper
3/4 cup honey
3 T. soy sauce
2 tsp corn starch

saute garlic in oil. Add scallions and red pepper. Stir in honey. Mix corn starch and soy sauce. Add to pan. Cook until thick.

Toss with green beans.

Serve hot or room temperature.

Can top with 3/4 cup cashews.

Avacado and dried mango salad

Boil greenbeans until not mushy (about 6 minutes and rinse)

Add
1 avacado diced (optional)
4 - 6 scallions diced (optional)
2 large handfulls dried mango diced (add right before serving)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Dressing:
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 cup italian dressing (store bought or home made - I normally make the recipe from Spice and Spirit)

Serve cold or room temperature

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 1:25 pm
There's such a thing as soggy string beans? Who knew? I reserve that term for spongy materials that absorb water. You mean "limp", maybe? That, I can relate to. Just steam them lightly till they're bright green. IOW, undercook them. It also helps to cut them into small sections. Long and skinny will present as floppy even when it's really only "flexible". Cut into short sections, there's not enough to flop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics