Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 yr old bites nails.

abmom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 6:16 pm
My just two year old son bites his nails from all fingers. I didn't have to cut his nails for a few weeks cuz they were so short. Now it's really really short and he's complaining that they hurt. I really want to stop this habit while he's still young. Any tips and advice?
I know there is some sort of bad tasting cream/nail polish. Anyone knows what it's called, and where I can get it online or in Monsey?
Thanks in advance!

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:31 pm
There's a really bad tasting nail polish called mavala stop. (Red and white label) I use it on myself and its really terrible. I recommend u taste it before giving it to a 2 year old. In order to get the bad taste out you need to gargle with mouthwash and I doubt a 2 yr old can do it.

I actually tried it on my dd when she was 2, she was crying she couldn't get the taste out. Now that she's 5 I give it to her sometimes.

There's something called thumb I see in pharmacies but I think it will irritate his eyes if he rubs them with his fingers.

I would say go into any beauty supply store see what they have, go for a more milder one. Try it on you first.

Good luck, I hope this helps him stop biting!

abmom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 8:38 pm
Thanks SingAlong. I didn't think the taste is THAT bad! Any other suggestions? Someone told me to put bandaids on all his fingers. But I think he'll be busy biting and trying to peel the bandaid till he gets to his nails, and it won't distract him from the nail biting. Anything else?

graphixmom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:13 pm
My son used to bite his nails since he was like a year old. it was the most annoying thing. I even tried one of these nail polish thing and it made him throw up.. I felt horrible doing it to him and I couldnt even get the taste off of it for a couple days. nail polish remover didnt work for it. in the end I just ignored it, I would point out to him every so often, dont bite your nails, but of course that doesnt work and then, wonders of wonders, he recently stopped!! I just cut his nails last week for the first time since he was about a year old and he is now almost four!! so hey, you never know, he might grow out of it like mine did. baruch hashem!

abmom

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 3:28 am
I'd rather not wait till he maybe will or maybe won't outgrow it. Especially since he's complaining that his fingernails hurt, meaning he's biting too deep. (Besides, I have a friend that still bites her nails, and it's gross.) Is there nothing else to do other than the terrible tasting nail polish?

abmom

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 6:31 pm
Bump. Nothing I can do? Sad

abmom

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 8:44 pm
Someone told me to use Mavala Stop. She said she used it only once and her 3.5 yr old child stopped sucking her thumb. Anyone tried it? The package says "not recomended for children under 3 yrs old because their taste buds are not fully developed." Do you think it's anyways worth a shot?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics