Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
"7 Myths of Working Mothers"
Previous  1  2  3  4

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 9:56 am
I have also asked that only working moms be allowed into the forum.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 10:37 am
I agree, this is a forum for Working Mothers, is it not? regardless of how stay-at-home moms feel about moms working, this should not be the place to post those opinions. I think it is clear from some of the posts on this thread that some women have been hurt and upset by it--women who work because they have no choice and do not need to hear about how they are screwing up their kids' lives--since they have really have no choice in the matter.
I also find it kind of odd that this book is being quoted over and over. hey there are many books out there that can be quoted, some in favor and some against working moms. who is to say that this author is so brilliant and so correct that we all must listen to every supposed pearl of wisdom that emanates from her book? ummm who says that this author's thinking is in line with daas torah? I can quote books and research papers from all lines of thought. who says that this is the only correct and appropriate line of thought?
just for the record, my opinion on working moms is: I dont think that moms should work full time if they can avoid it. and moms should of course do their best to avoid working a full day. if working full time can absolutely not be avoided, be happy with your situation and dont spend ur time thinking about how ur kids will be screwed up cuz they very likely wont be messed up at all! the kids who are more likely to be screwed up are those children of mothers who are judgemental and think its ok to pass judgement on every woman they meet that isnt following what they believe is the only correct path of life. (yes you can be a SAHM and still mess your kids up.) it is those children will likely be brought up with little Ahavat Yisroel and little respect for ppl who are different than them.
ok should I write a book maybe and then someone can quote me?

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 10:41 am
Sticking this in the Controversial Topics section would make sense.

Motek: I can assure you that the whole SAHM/WOHM and daycare debate is indeed a "hot" topic in the secular world. For example, the whole debate board on the subject on the Babycenter site got so heated that it was eventually shut down.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 10:52 am
Quote:
"Obviously there are some mothers, particularly single mothers or women whose husbands are struggling financially, who must go to work to put food on the table... but these women have very little to do with the current debate about working mothers.

I know all of you are not refering to single mothers. Believe me this is s topic I have thought of over and over again if I were to remarry. G-d willing someday. I honestly hated that I had to work, while my children were taken care of by my psychotic mother-in-law. If I had the choice I would have been home with my kids playing games, but at that time I did not.

If in the future I marry someone with the funds that would make it possible for me to stay home. I would stay home until the child is old enough to defend himself in school. Honestly, I think not working would drive me a bit crazy. As is as a single mother I am constantly wanting to be around adults, but with three little ones K"H it's almost next to impossible.

Point is we are all different women, and we all make different choices in life. I do not think it is fair to judge one and another until we have the opportunity to walk in that other person's shoes and see things through their eyes. We are who we are and Hashem gives us tools to use to make it through that life.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 11:50 am
Just follow moose's advice and scroll on by ...

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 12:49 am
Quote:
Mothers who want to be home with their children but cannot be are not the women who tout the benefits of day care or suggest that their children are better off with someone else during the day. It is only the mothers who work by choice that feel the need to tell people that their children are thriving in day care or that they wish they could afford to be home with their children."

ive been the sahm, I've been the have to work mother- my own personal opinion is that mothers are better than day care-

that being said: the above quote can also point out that the women who have to work probably make less money and have less access to really great day care. otoh, mothers who have a terrific, fulfilling and great paying job can more likely afford high quality (relatively speaking) day care

no generalizations can be 100%, I'm just pointing out that any statistic and opinion can be interpreted in several ways
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics