Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
LUMP ON NECK

SAmom1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 10:53 am
Hi all!
I was dressing my 1 year old this morning and felt a lump on the left side of his neck. Its pretty big, round, and it doesnt move (like lymph nodes usually move...). I have an appointment later today by his doctor, but I'm very nervous now. Anyone had something like this?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:10 am
It's good that you are going to the doc. It can be noted and monitored. If it doesn't feel normal it's best that you check it out. I also felt a lump on the side of my baby's neck when she was around that age and it didn't alarm the doc. But I reminded at subsequent visits. I was given to understand that it's normal. It still makes me nervous.

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:18 am
when I was 4 my mother discovered a lump on my neck. not sure if it was movable of not tho.

It ended up being a cyst and I needed surgery to remove it. It wasnt a big deal- not dangerous or anything. no further effects other then a faint scar on the side of my neck.

It could be nothing or something. only your dr will be able to tell you. Hatzlocha!!

SAmom1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:37 am
oh, might be a cyst?!? I know a lymph node usually moves and is small. so it's probably not that.
I sure hope it's nothing major!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:05 pm
One of my kids has had one of those lumps on the side of his neck for several years, since he was about a year old. The doctor said it was nothing. Then one day it wasn't there anymore.

fc8899

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:24 pm
My son had the same thing for around a year. When I noticed it I ran to the doctor frantic and told me it was a normal thing For toddlers. The babysitter then showed me that every child had one somewhere. Go to the doctor to calm urself down, but it is most probably nothing to worry

SAmom1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:29 pm
how big was it?
this is really big. bigger than size of a quarter, and hard.
I'm going to the doc in half hour...

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:32 pm
There are many possibilities and none of us are drs. and even if we were we couldnt diagnose without seeing it. b"h you only have a half hour left of freaking out.

please let us know after you get back tho

most likely its nothing serious.

tissues

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 12:49 pm
Busydev, it was probably a ganglian cyst (sorry don't know about spelling) which is basically a glob of fat molecules. It is not harmful at all. May cause pain depending on where it's located. You can either do surgery, or drain it, or leave it. It goes and comes on its own.

SAmom1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 8:58 pm
Hi,
Busy day!
Got antibiotics for my son. Its a cyst, bacterial.... going back tomorrow to follow up.

JackieLion

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:18 pm
@tissues: ganglion cysts are extremely rare in children that young, and more importantly, do not appear on the neck. ganglion cysts are found on top of joints, usually the wrists or fingers.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 9:28 pm
Bh it was just that! Hope the meds help!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:12 pm
My husband has a bump on his forehead. It came out of nowhere, I realized it one day. Was frantic, and doctor said it's nothing! If we want he could take it out for cosmetic purposes.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 11:42 pm
My child has a small round bump at the bottom of the neck. The Dr said it's nothing to be concerned about, it is an amniotic remnant - whatever that means. It can one day disappear or it can be surgically removed. We're waiting to see what happens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics