Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - for kids?

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 1:40 pm
Hi,

Due to the recent storms here in Israel, a teacher did not show up for work one day lastw eek. They couldn't find a substitute, so some teacher brought in a DVD of some kid cartoon and let the kids watch. My son told me it was "gross." After talking with him and getting details, we figured out it was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

I never saw this film, but the clips/advertisements I recall (it came out ages ago) looked totally inappropriate for 8-9 year-olds.

I am assuming the teacher had no ides what the movie was like.

1. Sanity check: Am I justified in saying something to the teacher?
2. (contingent on #1 above) Recommendations for how to broach the topic with the teacher.

We are MO/DL, if that makes any difference. Our kids can watch videos we pre-screen, they don't watch TV.

TIA

ray family

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 1:49 pm
I don't remember the movie so well. I do remember there being some inappropriate parts for young children.
just look at the way jessica rabbit is dressed
I'm not bad I'm just drawn that way
Web Page Name

morah

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 6:22 pm
Not for kids, certainly not for religious ones. My guess is the teacher is not familiar with American pop-culture and probably thought it would be ok because it's partially a cartoon. I would definitely bring it up, but not in an accusatory guns-blazing manner. Say something like "I'm a little concerned about a movie that was shown the other day." State your concerns with the movie (Jessica Rabbit, a lot of violence, s-xual innuendo), and say you are sure she didn't realize ahead of time but next time you'd suggest pre-screening, maybe by a native English speaker if it's an American movie.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 6:29 pm
It's been years since I have seen it, but I will agree it is not suitable for children, especially religious children.

It could be that the teacher didn't know what was in the film before she played it. Often people assume that cartoons= for kids. This is not necessarily the case.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 9:15 pm
shock

Totally not for 8-9 year olds. Besides having loud s-xual overtones, the story line is not for kids. I would be very upset with the teacher for showing this.

watergirl

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 10:10 pm
Totally not ok to show kids that age. However... movies from then were raited differently then today. What was PG then might be pg 13 now...
Once we showed our kids the movie Goonies and were SHOCKED at what was in it that we didnt remember from when we were kids. Its a pg movie with bad language and other things...
Maybe the teacher just didnt remember this movie as bad as it really is.

aleza

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 10:14 pm
I have to laugh... someone probably thought... what could be wrong with it, an animated movie with cartoon rabbits? ... ha! It is not a children's movie even under secular standards. It is technologically savvy, with its merging of animated and live-action characters, and a fun story, but NOT a children's story. I think this is an example of how some religious people have no clue about the outside world... sometimes they think something very innocuous is inappropriate, and, in this case, the opposite. I remember a boyfriend of mine, in my pre-frum days, told me he thought the cartoon character "Jessica Rabbit" in this movie was the s=xiest woman he ever saw on screen.

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 10:37 pm
she must have just turned on the movie and walked out of the classroom.

There is NO WAY a teacher would have played that show on purpose.

I doubt that would even go over in public school for 8 year olds.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 10:48 pm
I am as liberal as they come in these matters. But no . Roger Rabbit IS NOT FOR CHILDREN ...
I would rate it R...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 4:15 am
Oh HECK no! shock Definitely only for adults, and for sure not even for frum adults.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 7:59 am
Jessica Rabbit is way tooo zexy for kids. Even for secular adults.
Back in my singing days in England (pre-frum) when the director was coaching me for a solo he (secular as all get out) was yelling at the back "No! No! No! Turn up the thermometer! Way up! Think Jessica Rabbit! Jessica Rabbit!"

I nearly died laughing..
of course it didn't help when he came to be backstage and said, "Remember...JESSICA RABBIT!'

I was thinking "This guy is that hung up on an animated woman?" LOL LOL

ElTam

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:19 pm
Totally not for kids. Good luck with talking to the teacher.

Happy18

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:41 pm
This is a great example of why teachers must watch entire movies they want to show their classes.

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 4:15 pm
Not only inappropriate, but kids wouldn't get most of the humor or references, thus making it both boring and inappropriate. You need at least a passing familiarity with the film noir genre as well as the film making history to completely get it. In fact, it's kind of an esoteric film even for adults.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics