Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pizza 3 times a week?
Previous  1  2  3

ray family

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 3:59 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
etky wrote:
shnitzel wrote:
For all the pizza isn't healthy people, do you feel the same about a cheese sandwich?

Or mac and cheese, or grilled cheese (which don't even have the advantage of the tomato sauce) or lasagna or baked zitti for that matter.Why is just the pizza stigmatized? Because it's also available as a fast food version in a pizzeria? When you make pizza from scratch is sure 'aint fast food.

I am the amother who commented earlier that pizza is junk food - and yes, I consider ziti, lasagna, mac n cheese, etc. equally unhealthy.

This. They are all unhealthy and extremely fattening.

not that I serve the above every day (or even more than once or twice a week for that matter) I'm curious as to waht you serve your kids. I"m always on the lookout for healthier kid friendly meals

Brownies

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 7:27 am
I won't deny pizza can be fattening when it's got lots of cheese on top but I honestly don't see how it's so unhealthy when it's homemade. I make my own dough, so similar to normal bread dough, and in the topping (which I make also) I have onion, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, olives and mushrooms, spices and, yes, a teaspoonful of sugar. It's something I can make in advance and freeze. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If I wanted to get more vegetables in I could also add celery, carrot or leek and purée the sauce before putting it on the pizza and I'm sure it would go down well also, though I've never tried it. You can do lots of stuff with pizza - I've also seen it with spinach on top though that's not my cup of tea.

Brownies

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 7:55 am
I won't deny pizza can be fattening when it's got lots of cheese on top but I honestly don't see how it's so unhealthy when it's homemade. I make my own dough, so similar to normal bread dough, and in the topping (which I make also) I have onion, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, olives and mushrooms, spices and, yes, a teaspoonful of sugar. It's something I can make in advance and freeze. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If I wanted to get more vegetables in I could also add celery, carrot or leek and purée the sauce before putting it on the pizza and I'm sure it would go down well also, though I've never tried it. You can do lots of stuff with pizza - I've also seen it with spinach on top though that's not my cup of tea.

bbmom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:13 am
I'm on a very strict diet right now. My meals are limited to 250 calories and limited fat content. I don't eat any refined sugar and only 100% whole grains. I am able to eat 2 slices of my homemade pizza for a meal on this diet. I consider it a very healthy option. Maybe the people saying that pizza is unhealthy are either only referring to store bought or just don't really understand what homemade pizza is/can be made of?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:40 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
etky wrote:
shnitzel wrote:
For all the pizza isn't healthy people, do you feel the same about a cheese sandwich?

Or mac and cheese, or grilled cheese (which don't even have the advantage of the tomato sauce) or lasagna or baked zitti for that matter.Why is just the pizza stigmatized? Because it's also available as a fast food version in a pizzeria? When you make pizza from scratch is sure 'aint fast food.

I am the amother who commented earlier that pizza is junk food - and yes, I consider ziti, lasagna, mac n cheese, etc. equally unhealthy.

And of very little nutritional value.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 9:14 am
ray family wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
etky wrote:
shnitzel wrote:

not that I serve the above every day (or even more than once or twice a week for that matter) I'm curious as to waht you serve your kids. I"m always on the lookout for healthier kid friendly meals

LOL. I don't know if I am the paradigm of healthy cooking. It just boggles my mind that people (I think Americans in particular) consider things like lasagna healthy.
We have our main hot meal at lunch. For supper, I make things like shakshouka (real tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, eggs), with salad, or scrambled eggs, or tuna salad, or soup. (And then my super picky kid(s) end up eating cereal anyway...)

I do make homemade pizza sometimes, and I order pizza once every two weeks or so. But I don't consider them healthy. As I said above, I'm not quite as health conscious as I could be.
If anything, I think it's a healthier choice when I buy the kids falafel.

ElTam

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 9:48 am
Naomi2 wrote:

Quote:
I like this idea but would add an alternative of plain bread

DD2 only likes two lunches that the serve at school. So that's two lunches a month that she eats. Every other day she has bread and milk for lunch. Sometimes a piece of fruit. So I'm not offering options.

A kid can eat a slice of red pepper or some cucumber. They can eat a half an apple or a banana. It is not going to kill them.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:04 pm
pizza is probably not THAT unhealthy, and it can actually be made healthy, but you have to make it so by putting on loads of healthy toppings and making the base thin not thick. you have in the pizza carbohydrate, (bread), protein (cheese), and the vegetables/salad on the top. you should put mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, onions, sweetcorn, peppers etc etc.
I don't think that you should eat them more than 2 or 3 times a week though, because if you buy them from the shop they are probably packed with salt and other things too.
but at home you can easily replicate a pizza by making, for example, ciabatta bread (so yummy), in the oven or toaster, with melted cheese, tomato, olives etc. it comes stunning! I have this for my lunch sometimes when I'm at home.

it's never good to eat anything too much - even healthy things.

but by the way - cheese contains protein but it is actually not that healthy. apart from the protein it contains, there is no health benefit of it. AND, you can eat chedder etc but for the most part try to stick to the white cheeses - such as mozzarella/feta/cottage cheese etc, and the dutch cheeses - these have a great deal less cholestoral than the "yellow" ones

etky

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
pizza is probably not THAT unhealthy, and it can actually be made healthy, but you have to make it so by putting on loads of healthy toppings and making the base thin not thick. you have in the pizza carbohydrate, (bread), protein (cheese), and the vegetables/salad on the top. you should put mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, onions, sweetcorn, peppers etc etc.
I don't think that you should eat them more than 2 or 3 times a week though, because if you buy them from the shop they are probably packed with salt and other things too.
but at home you can easily replicate a pizza by making, for example, ciabatta bread (so yummy), in the oven or toaster, with melted cheese, tomato, olives etc. it comes stunning! I have this for my lunch sometimes when I'm at home.

it's never good to eat anything too much - even healthy things.

but by the way - cheese contains protein but it is actually not that healthy. apart from the protein it contains, there is no health benefit of it. AND, you can eat chedder etc but for the most part try to stick to the white cheeses - such as mozzarella/feta/cottage cheese etc, and the dutch cheeses - these have a great deal less cholestoral than the "yellow" ones

It is a motherlode of calcium (especially parmesan) and is very beneficial for dental health too. You can also get the reduced fat yellow cheeses that have just a bit less calcium but a lot less fat. Personally I find them not that tasty Sad

OheivYisrael

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 3:21 pm
DH has a dairy allergy, so this is not an issue for me (kids eat pizza once a week, max). However, this gets me thinking about what do all the imamothers consider a proper dinner? We have fleishigs almost nightly, but not much vegetables (DH is in charge of dinner... and everyone has usually eaten when I get home).

So what's the definition of a healthy dinner?

spring13

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 3:56 pm
OheivYisrael wrote:
DH has a dairy allergy, so this is not an issue for me (kids eat pizza once a week, max). However, this gets me thinking about what do all the imamothers consider a proper dinner? We have fleishigs almost nightly, but not much vegetables (DH is in charge of dinner... and everyone has usually eaten when I get home).

No, protein does not have to be fleishigs.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 4:16 pm
OheivYisrael wrote:

some protein, (ideally low in fat, salt and sugar) vegetables (ditto)and (ideally wholewheat/healthy) carbs.

too much of anything is not good. Tuna is healthy but eating it every night is not good. Likewise with cheese, red meat, eggs etc. Some things can be eaten more frequently such as milk, perhaps chicken, beans, lentils?

my kids tend to like raw vegetables so I have plenty of cucumber, carrots, peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery, on hand. All of these can be cut up quickly and the kids like them. They will not touch them cooked.

OheivYisrael

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 4:21 pm
Raisin wrote:
OheivYisrael wrote:

some protein, (ideally low in fat, salt and sugar) vegetables (ditto)and (ideally wholewheat/healthy) carbs.

too much of anything is not good. Tuna is healthy but eating it every night is not good. Likewise with cheese, red meat, eggs etc. Some things can be eaten more frequently such as milk, perhaps chicken, beans, lentils?

my kids tend to like raw vegetables so I have plenty of cucumber, carrots, peppers, cherry tomatoes, celery, on hand. All of these can be cut up quickly and the kids like them. They will not touch them cooked.

I have the opposite- the only vegetable my kids will eat raw is (baby) carrots. And even that is just a few. I pack them into soups, meat sauce, even cholent. However, that's when I'm the one cooking...

bbmom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:
amother wrote:
etky wrote:
shnitzel wrote:

And of very little nutritional value.

I make my baked ziti with rice pasta (so its really not a cheap meal like regular baked ziti is). I use a jarred spaghetti sauce that I found in a health food store- the ingredients in it are tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, garlic, black pepper and dried onion. I warm up the sauce on the stove and add shredded carrots, spinach, cottage cheese and tablespoon of cream cheese to the sauce. Once it's an even texture I mix it with the pasta, pour the whole thing into a pan and sprinkle and bit (1/2 cup at the most) of mazzorella cheese on top.

I wouldn't call that meal unhealthy or of little nutritional value but I'm assuming you we're talking about "regular" pasta Smile

shnitzel

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:48 pm
Why is it different than chicken and white rice?

It also has protein fat and carbs. Fat is considered a good thing now that we are out of the 1990s and our nutritional science knowledge has advanced.

black sheep

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 8:51 pm
my kids and I are having pizza right now. it is store bought, which is rare, I usually make homemade WW pizza with homemade sauce. I don't know why I do that, they really LOVE the store bought. they are currently telling me how much they love me, and asking if they should clean their rooms after dinner or help me with the laundry. this is the most emotionally healthy dinner I ever served.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:12 pm
dont obsess over the perfect supper. gosh. pizza is totally healthy. carbs, dairy, protein. add an israeli salad and some grapes on the side and youre done. dont buy into the "must be a perfect supper" obsession. B"H we live in a time where food is readily available B"H, and that in itself is the biggest contributing factor to health.

that being said, dont let your kids become too picky, or they may end up driving their spouses a bit bonkers!

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 2:46 am
Right.

It's vastly cheaper to make your own than to buy it. Kind of fun too. I think you can make the dough in a bread machine. I also think you can make the dough in advance in a mixer in quantity, say a lot of one-pie balls, and freeze or refrigerate it. If the ball were wrapped plastic wrap, you could roll it out still in the wrap without getting sticky. You might oil the wrap or oil-spray it.

You might work some hardboiled egg slices onto the top with the olives.

I think lean ground beef could be on top with the Barilla sauce, if there were no cheese.

Do kids eat meatloaf these days? With plenty of tomato sauce in and on it. The hardboiled egg "surprise" in the middle might interest them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics