Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When did you switch from a car seat to a booster?
Previous  1  2

When did you switch from a car seat to a booster?
2 and under  
 20%  [ 4 ]
 5%  [ 1 ]
 30%  [ 6 ]
 15%  [ 3 ]
 25%  [ 5 ]
7 and over  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

bamamama

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 12:50 am
I'm shock that 3 others put their dc in boosters at 2 and under (aside from the PP who said she was confused when she answered the poll).

Really, people? This stuff isn't just our opinion and isn't just made up. It's the law with safety testing to back it up. A booster at 2 in ANY circumstance (I.e. carpool) is neglect. Full stop. Even at 3. They just aren't mature enough.

Oh, and your pediatrician? NOT A CPST. A doctor. For your body. Not your car seat. Exploding anger

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 10:05 am
It looks like dd will be switching sooner than we thought. The seat is getting too small for her. The straps are getting too narrow at the neck, and the tightening strap is almost non-existant. I'm confused though. The manufacture says it's good until 50 inches and 65 pounds. DD is about 44 inches and 45 pounds. She doesn't wear a coat or thick clothes in the seat. I kind of feel cheated in a sense. Sad

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 10:59 am
It really goes by torso height, not overall height. If she has a longer frame, she'll outgrow it sooner.

I can't remember if it was this thread that mentioned HBB are better for shoulder strap placement...but I wanted to mention some backless (like the Harmony Literider) have a shoulder strap guide so if a backless is necessary (like it is for us for carpools), you are able to ensure the belt is correct if you use a backless with that feature.

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 11:45 am
DS is 4, 42" and 42 lbs. (BIG). Still in a 5-pt. harness, and will be for as long as I can keep him in it. (It's a 3-in-1, so he'll be in it until my next one needs it.)

Someone else started giving him a ride to school regularly, but puts him in a backless booster just like her own son (who is much more petite)- this bothers me quite a bit... She just told me that it's the Harmony seat, so the min is 30 lbs.

Now I need to get another carseat to take her son... any recommendations? I would also use it as a backup for DS in our 2nd car. I had been planning on getting a Graco HBB, but she recommended the Harmony.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 11:54 am
For an over 4 yo who is just going in the seat for short rides here and there, I would be ok with a backless provided the seatbelt goes over the shoulder properly (the Harmony Literider, $13 at Walmart if that is what you are looking at, has a shoulder belt guide). Otherwise, I'd look into HBB, I like the Evenflo Amp for a commonly found, cheap HBB. (Personally I have the Recaro Vivo but it's overkill for a secondary seat.)

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 12:03 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
For an over 4 yo who is just going in the seat for short rides here and there, I would be ok with a backless provided the seatbelt goes over the shoulder properly (the Harmony Literider, $13 at Walmart if that is what you are looking at, has a shoulder belt guide). Otherwise, I'd look into HBB, I like the Evenflo Amp for a commonly found, cheap HBB. (Personally I have the Recaro Vivo but it's overkill for a secondary seat.)

Thank you! This sounds perfect.

I had thought about spending more for something better, to eventually use for DS when he gets kicked out of his 3-in-1, but I guess I'll still need an extra for carpool! So this works for now.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 12:05 pm
We moved my first son into a booster seat (with a back) at age 4. He is tall and fit nicely. I still don't like it, when we go on a long trip and he falls asleep, the belt doesn't hold him in well enough--his head and body end up slumped over to the side. The car seat we had for him only held up to 40 lbs. forward facing and we needed it for his brother.
My second son recently turned 4 but he's still in the car seat--he is not yet 40 lbs. and he is short. I put him in a booster seat once (had someone else's car) and he just seemed too short in it. I'm not sure if I'm going to get another car seat that will hold him longer, or just wait for him to reach 40 lbs. and then re-assess.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics